Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Canon 5D or Nikon D300?

Hi, im a amateur(more like going to be), and im thinking to buy one of these cameras. I am not a fan boy of any kind, i just want to get a solid opinion on these 2 great cameras. My friend has a sony A700 and keeps telling me 5D is way better, but hes a amateur himself so i wanted a second opinion. So far all i know is that the 5D is a full frame, while the D300 has a 1.5x Crop, and also 5D is much older. The reason why i chose these 2 is because my budget is in that range (1500~1800) canadian, Body only! Lens, i will just pick up a 50mm prime. The shots i "will" be taking preferabbly will be Cars, Some landscape, Lots of Skyline "day and night", and MAYBE some sports. please just help this amatuer out so that he doesnt have a buyers remorse :mad2: :thumbsup:

Thanks all opinions welcomed!

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Canon 5D or Nikon D300?

Both cameras are solid machines. I shoot a D300 and love it! I have a friend who swears by their 5D. And both Canon and Nikon have solid glass backing them. Since your in Canada, I suggest you head on down to your local Henry's store and try out both machines, the staff there are very knowledgeable. I've gotten almost all my gear (even used stuff) through them.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    Both cameras are solid machines. I shoot a D300 and love it! I have a friend who swears by their 5D. And both Canon and Nikon have solid glass backing them. Since your in Canada, I suggest you head on down to your local Henry's store and try out both machines, the staff there are very knowledgeable. I've gotten almost all my gear (even used stuff) through them.
    Well, if you ever do shoot sports, the D300 is FAR superior to the 5D, because of it's much faster burst and AF performance, and longer telephoto reach. The 5D is not designed for speed at all.

For the other stuff, which doesn't require shooting speed, just image quality when working slowly, the 5D is probably slightly better, assuming that you can get your hands on some good wide angle lenses that cover the larger frame without degrading at the corners. These cameras are fundamentally very different, and they are optimized to do different things. But the 5D is a nearly 4 year old design, that, while still delivering outstanding image quality, lacks a lot of shooting performance that you need for sports work. The D300, being much newer, has very nearly as good image quality out of a smaller sensor, but is far better shooting performance.

You also need to fundamentally decide if you are prepared to invest in only the lenses that can cover the full frame with high quality. Over the long haul, that will cost more money for sure. But, if you're not put off by a long term investment into the several thousand dollars for lenses, Full Frame image quality is hard to beat. On the other hand, the D300 is the very best small-sensor camera out there in terms of image quality, and provides all of the other ergonomic and economic advantages because of the smaller sensor.

Sorting It Out

You've got a couple of very different decisions mixed up in this decision. One of them is full-frame or cropped. Another is Canon or Nikon. And I also think you need to put a little more thought into the lens you choose. While 50mm lenses are very nice, a good current zoom lens will also deliver excellent image quality as well as versatility. We used to choose a 50mm lens first. But that's not my recommendation these days.

Nikon or Canon? In my opinion, that's usually a very personal decision that's based more on emotion than perfomance. Both companies make excellent cameras and systems and you really can't go wrong with either one. The photographer is almost always going to be a bigger problem than the camera or system.

Full-frame? The Canon EOS 5D has excellent image quality. I was surprised to discover how good when I recently did some close comparison between the EOS 40D, 50D and the 5D. The original EOS 5D still came out a clear winner. That said, is it really worth it? Not necessarily. You give up a lot of speed and it's easy to argue that most photographers don't need that kind of image quality. Personally, I made the decision to commit to cropped sensors a few years ago. I don't regret that decision one bit. I get a lot more camera for my money, my cameras are generally smaller and lighter and they're always faster.

My standard advice is buy the least expensive digital SLR and a better lens. Unless you're shooting action, I would recommend either a Canon XSi / 450D or Nikon D60 or D90 and a professional zoom lens. Using your money for a better lens is almost always the best decision.
    Last edited by Photo-John; 02-18-2009 at 05:25 PM.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I have a 5D and have spent some good time with the D300. My vote goes to the D300. Just because it's newer, has wonderful IQ, and that glorious LCD. Also the build quality and feel is much better. My 5D seems a bit on the prehistoric side, in comparison. Sure IQ is very good, but I would go with the D300.

In praise of the 50mm

For 2 days now I've been trying to think of what I could add to Photo-John's post, but he said it all. Perhaps my personal experience:

Having a camera with just one prime lens is really a good (i.e. painful) learning experience. A "normal" view (the 50mm on the 5D or a 35mm on the D300) is suited to some subjects like scenes in the street at 6-10 feet but not for subjects where you need to take in a wider view (landscapes, groups, interiors) or when you need to zoom in on the subject (portraits, sports, landscapes at a distance). You have to be very inventive to figure out how to make things fit in the frame.

Give yourself a break. Invest in good glass (i.e. a wideangle to telephoto zoom) and settle for a lesser camera.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: In praise of the 50mm

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    For 2 days now I've been trying to think of what I could add to Photo-John's post, but he said it all. Perhaps my personal experience:
    Deliberate contemplation before posting an opinion on the internet? Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. We cannot have that. Are you some type of anarchist? You are tearing down everything that internet forums stand for!

thanks for the input guys, the comments made me think over. I did some research however, if i invest in a less value camera( ie: crop body), technically some lenses wont work with full body. Can anyone shed some light on which lenses would be both workkin on Full frame and Cropped cameras? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ckboii89
    thanks for the input guys, the comments made me think over. I did some research however, if i invest in a less value camera( ie: crop body), technically some lenses wont work with full body. Can anyone shed some light on which lenses would be both workkin on Full frame and Cropped cameras? thanks!

With Nikon, all lenses work on all cameras (Nikon full frame DSLRS automatically switch to crop mode when a DX lense in on them).

Canon. Their DX lenses (EF-S) can only be used on crop bodies (rear element supposedly pretrudes into the camera body to far on full frames).

As for a crop body being "less value", baloney.

Quote Originally Posted by ckboii89
    Canon EF-S lenses won't fit on a full-frame body, by design. Some examples: the 18-200, 17-85, 18-55 (all types)

Nikon DX lenses will fit on a full-frame (FX) body but at most focal lengths and apertures the edges will be dark and unusable. Some of the FX bodies recognise when a DX lens is fitted and switch to crop mode (with less Mpix). Your 12Mpix D700 becomes a sort of 5Mpix D300.

What do you mean by "less value"? I like the DX crop lenses. They're usually smaller, lighter and cheaper than the FX equivalent - when there is one. I use the 18-200VR DX a lot and there is no FX equivalent. I like the DX bodies. The D60 is the first SLR of any type that fits in the bag I used to use with my Leica.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

ok pardon me for calling dx cameras "lesser" value, what i really meant was price. anyways, shud i go for 50d or d300? or d90 or 40d

Thread Information