• 10-10-2005, 02:38 PM
    deone
    Rebel XT and metring with the builtin flash
    When using the creative modes, e.g. Tv, is there an easy way of telling what f-stop the camera will use with the built-in flash? I find that when I press the shutter button half-way, the f-stop shown is the same with the flash up and the flash down. I do find, however, that when I take a photo with the flash up, it uses a higher f stop than with the flash down so the camera is clearly adjusting for the increased light due to the flash.
    Thanks for your help.
    Amer
  • 10-12-2005, 02:10 PM
    Photo-John
    Good Question
    Amer-
    That's a very good question. I would have done exactly what you did - watch the aperture setting both with and without the built-in flash on. Did you try it in Av mode? Does it behave differently? In Av the aperture should be entirely your decision. Does the displayed aperture change in different lighting conditions when you're in Tv mode? If it doesn't, it may be that it's showing the maximum aperture and it stops down when you shoot. That would be my guess.
  • 10-12-2005, 07:31 PM
    bitflogger
    Re: Good Question
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Amer-
    That's a very good question. I would have done exactly what you did - watch the aperture setting both with and without the built-in flash on. Did you try it in Av mode? Does it behave differently? In Av the aperture should be entirely your decision. Does the displayed aperture change in different lighting conditions when you're in Tv mode? If it doesn't, it may be that it's showing the maximum aperture and it stops down when you shoot. That would be my guess.

Don't forget to be aware of the cf settings where it could be at a fixed 1/200th if you're not aware that you or somebody made the change.