Rebel Pricing?

Printable View

• 04-01-2005, 02:14 PM
    Jeff M
    Rebel Pricing?
    Hi, I am new here and hello. I am also pretty new to photography. I am a woodworker who wants to take decent pics of my items to sell. I list pretty often on ebay and most of my pics are, well..........lousy. I am using an Olympus D-560 :( and really do not care for it. I use a tripod, bought a few photoflood(3200 calvins). Anyways, I have heard alot about the 6.3mp Rebel and did a search on pricing. The prices vary so much! Can you tell me if some of the prices(link below) are for real? I really want to upgrade, as poor pics really kill my sales. I have PS CS, which helps a little, but cannot seem to get crisp edges and true color with my lil' p&s camera. Thanks, Jeff
    http://www.shopcartusa.com/Product/8...R_-_Body_Only/
  • 04-01-2005, 02:59 PM
    DownByFive
    Re: Rebel Pricing?
    The cheapest legit price I've seen for the Rebel is around $675 for the kit. I'd recommend an etailer like buydig.com or bhphotovideo.com. But if you find a price that looks good, check www.resellerratings.com for info on the dealer. Of course, since the introduction of the Rebel XT, I would imagine that ebay is probably getting flooded with used Rebels...

PS...Don't buy from AM Photoworld, USA Photonation, or Royal Camera! They are pretty much the most well known scammers on the web...
  • 04-01-2005, 03:33 PM
    Liz
    Check the prices on the advertisers here. Otherwise, if the price seems too good to be true, it is.

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownByFive
    The cheapest legit price I've seen for the Rebel is around $675 for the kit. I'd recommend an etailer like buydig.com or bhphotovideo.com. But if you find a price that looks good, check www.resellerratings.com for info on the dealer. Of course, since the introduction of the Rebel XT, I would imagine that ebay is probably getting flooded with used Rebels...

PS...Don't buy from AM Photoworld, USA Photonation, or Royal Camera! They are pretty much the most well known scammers on the web...

• 04-02-2005, 07:54 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff M
    Hi, I am new here and hello. I am also pretty new to photography. I am a woodworker who wants to take decent pics of my items to sell. I list pretty often on ebay and most of my pics are, well..........lousy.

Note that buying a new camera will probably not change the quality of the photographs. That's a skill that no camera can replace. Many beginners find a DSLR even worse as it assumes a higher level of understanding and more post-processing.
  • 04-07-2005, 09:48 AM
    tijean
    I agree with Michael whole-heartedly. My mother just ordered a 300D, and considering that I have not yet managed to get her into the habit of resizing photos before e-mailing them to me, I know that her learning curve is going to be a long road for me.

The 300D is a very nice camera, but relies much more on user input than a point and shoot. You may want to cruise this site's review listings for point and shoots before you settle on a 300D.

A point and shoot generally has more internet-ready photos (more in camera sharpening, ect.) and a more versatile lens.
  • 04-08-2005, 12:14 PM
    Jeff M
    I picked up a 300D a few days ago and the photos are MUCH better than my p&s D560. No comparison in quality, nor is it rocket science in the auto mode. I have had a few digitals in the last 6 yrs., so I am not that inexperienced. Not going to learn to ride a bike if you stay on the tri-cycle. :D
  • 05-24-2005, 02:50 PM
    zee
    If photography is not your hobby, just taking pictures of woodworking and then here and there...then I suggest not to waste your money on a digital SLR.
    I can assure you, that if you get a Canon Powershot 4-6 megapixels, it will be more than enough.
    I have two Powershots A10 and A80 and the quality of images are excellent to outstanding. Plus you have also all the controls if you wish - Aperture priority, Shutter P., Manual, .... But most of my images were taken on Program or Autom.
    A80 is out of production, but you can get A95, which is good as A80.
    There are newer Powershots today, which I'm sure are of excellent quality as well.
    Check rating and reviews of the newest Powershote on dpreview.com, cnet.cm, pcworld.com, and ofcourse here.
    A80 you can get cheaply on bhphotovideo.com, probably for $200.
    The images can printed 8x10 easily.
    I still didn't the same quality of images on my new Rebel XT...;-)
    So, if it's not your hobby, then don't bother.
    :)
  • 05-26-2005, 07:57 AM
    wburychka
    Be sure to check resellerratings.com! I've done business for several years with digitalfotoclub.com, including returns with no problem. I've also bought several times from adorama.com and bhphotovideo.com, as well as Canoga Camera. Newegg is good, but their return policies are pretty hard ball (as in NO!)

Personally, I'd be a little afraid of a DSLR on ebay. I've been reading various forums since the Digital Rebel release in August 2003, and given the hidden damage that can be done to a DSLR, I think I want a reputable dealer and warranty behind my camera. I cannot even count the messages I've read with "I dropped my Rebel, but it looks OK. Now what?" or "I used canned air to blow dust off my Rebel sensor, and now part of it seems darker than the rest."

The Digital Rebel was a breakthrough camera. The first under $1,000 DSLR, so it attracted many Canon film SLR users, but its popularity--thanks no doubt in part due to its extensive advertising in non-photography magazines and the Super Bowl--rapidly extended to people who had never used an SLR, film or digital. I have seem some of those people dragging their DRebels around, and after all I've read and seen, the only person I'd buy a used Rebel from is me--and mine is not for sale!