Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tel

Really Inexpensive DSLR?

Sorry If I posted this in the wrong forums.

But yeah, I was talking to my mom, and brought up the fact that I really wanted a DLSR, She said it was a possibility, If I could find an inexpensive one. But first, I'd like to tell you all that I really really dont like PAS cameras. There so annoying. My main Camera is a Nikon D70 (My dad's) And I really want my own camera. My parents know I really wanna stick with photography, As I've already decided I'm gonna go to college for Photography.

But lets get to the point, I need a good, Cheap DSLR. Preferably with a Lens, But my dad 3 lenses, one of which he never uses. And of course, All the lenses are for the Nikon D70.

Again, I want a nice, Inexpensive,DSLR with atleast 4MP. I'd love to find one for 300, But thats not very likely, I dont care if its used, As long as its not an ebay Auction (BIN's are fine) I'm good.

Oh, forgot to mention, My birthday is coming up soon, Thats the reason.

Re: Really Inexpensive DSLR?

Beach Camera has a refurbished D50 for 379.00 and a new one for 439.00. I don't know much about Nikons but a friend of mine has a D50, and he loves it. Maybe your Dad's lenses would fit????
    Greg

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/Sear...Nikon&cti=3014
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Tel

Hmm, Seems like a good deal, I'm guessing they'd fit, as there the same brand, So yeah.

But I've looked around, and found some places with cheaper cameras, but without lenses.

Watch here. IMHO they are the best online store to buy from.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=2891

I have heard good thing about Beach camera though.

Remeber Fuji also uses nikon mounts.

Tel

Yeah, Fuji and 2 Kodak cameras.

But yeah, I'm think that the D50 will be a bit like the D70, Which I really like, So, I'm hoping for a D50. I've got a friend who bought one, But he kinda drifted away from photography, and doesn't use it anymore, I'll ask him.

But yeah, I'll keep looking at B&H. And if all else fails, I'll ask for the one at Beach Camera. But I dont think they'll get me that one.

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

30+ years ago I got into photography when I joined the school newspaper and yearbook staff. They had the good old Pentax K1000 with a 50mm f2.0 lens that they would check out to the photographers. Good film camera for a beginner. But my folks saw that I enjoyed it and it was part of school, even if I wasn't getting a grade for it. My birthday showed up and so did a really nice USED Nikon F2. I was in heaven. (And I still have that good old Nikon)

If you are interested in photography (since is sounds like you are in high school) take a look at joining the yearbook staff. I lived with my camera around my neck in school and used it daily. Besides, parent are more likely to come up with money if it is for "school". I know, my lovely wife and I raised three that made it through school and out to the real world. Good luck.

30+ years ago I got into photography when I joined the school newspaper and yearbook staff. They had the good old Pentax K1000 with a 50mm f2.0 lens that they would check out to the photographers. Good film camera for a beginner. But my folks saw that I enjoyed it and it was part of school, even if I wasn't getting a grade for it. My birthday showed up and so did a really nice USED Nikon F2. I was in heaven. (And I still have that good old Nikon)

If you are interested in photography (since is sounds like you are in high school) take a look at joining the yearbook staff. I lived with my camera around my neck in school and used it daily. Besides, parent are more likely to come up with money if it is for "school". I know, my lovely wife and I raised three that made it through school and out to the real world. Good luck.

Ok, I don't know how I did this. I only hit post ONCE. Sorry.

Tel

Yeah, I'm homeschooled, so yearbook staff is kinda not gonna happen.

But they keep telling me the photography will count as school.

u could move brands.. the pentax k110 is very cheap.. lots of older pentax k mount glass will all fit on it..

trog

Tel

I honestly dont mind what brand it is, as long as its really cheap. Got any links?

After looking, its usually the same price as the D50.

And since I have a lens that fits the D50, I'm gonna have to say if anything, I'll be getting the D50.

Just found another reason that camera isnt for me. It runs on Double A's. I HATE anything but rechargeable batteries. Like oh say..... In the D50! So, I think its a perfect match for me.
    Last edited by Tel; 01-07-2007 at 03:30 PM.

I have a Fuji S2 which is a Nikon system camera. In other words, Fuji built the camera into a Nikon film SLR so it uses Nikon lenses. It also uses 4 x AA's as well as 2 x CR123. I've used rechargeable AA's since it was new and no problems there - plus spare sets are easy to find and inexpensive. The CR123's last a long time and the camera will work without them as people have figured out. So - I wouldn't worry about that part of it. Used, they're still (amazingly enough) worth around $500 but there was an older S1 that might fit the bill. It also uses Nikon lenses. KEH.com might have one, or something else. I wonder if Nikon's D100 is down in that price range by now - but the D50 is a much better choice than any of these if you can afford it.

Tel

I looked at that S1, Found one for cheap on Ebay, BUT, Another Setback along with the AA batteries, It uses SmartMedia cards. Which are VERY Expensive and hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Tel
    It uses SmartMedia cards. Which are VERY Expensive and hard to find.
    Didn't realize that... The S2 uses CF cards. With 2100mah NIMH rechargeables, those AA's last a long time. Plus in cold weather I can use Lithiums and not have any battery problems due to the temperature... Really, I wish more of them used AA's!

Take your time and keep checking the dealers, places such as Roberts Distributors in Indy get used Nikon's often. They have a website and you can check it at:
    http://www.robertsimaging.com
    Also check Adorama and B&H, those are the only three dealers I'd trust to buy anything used from.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Tel

Okay, I just found out that I overloooked it, The S1 has a double slot, and can take Compact Flash.

I'll just get some good rechargeable batteries.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Consider the fact that the S1 is a very old camera and a hybrid- based on a film body with digital bits bolted on. It doens't have the same feel, 'made for digital' ease of use, and image quality will be several years behind the D50.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Tel

Yeah, I understand that, But its really my only choice, As I'm NOT Waiting til Christmas or something.

Tel

Okay, I'm thinking now that this is gonna be my only option.

Does anyone have any links to a place I can buy it? I've looked on ebay, They only have One, and its an auction.

Yeah, I'm homeschooled, so yearbook staff is kinda not gonna happen.

But they keep telling me the photography will count as school.
    Yeah, it would be kind of a small year book at that wouldn't it. Just trying to toss out some things to consider.

Tel

Yeah, I showed the D50 on Beach Camera to my mom, and she said that was too much, and she wanted to pay less than 300, So the S1 seems in that range.

Playing Devil's Advocate: Realize that the S1 is pretty much non-repairable. It probably could be fixed but most (if not all) repairs will cost more than the camera is worth.

JSPhoto's recommendations are good places to deal with and I've heard good things about KEH.com but never bought anything there personally. Calumetphoto.com is another good place. It's just a matter of someone having one in stock. When this camera came out, being an early DSLR, there weren't anywhere near as many made as the D50, etc so you may have to be patient for one to come up on the used market.

There are a few others out there like the original Nikon D1 or some of the older Kodak DSLR's (some were Canon and some Nikon) but I think I'd go with the S1 over any of these - for the record I'd hold out for a D50 myself, but I understand about the money.

Iron Horse

Yeah, I showed the D50 on Beach Camera to my mom, and she said that was too much, and she wanted to pay less than 300, So the S1 seems in that range.
    how much can you chip in? do odd jobs, shovel snow (mow lawns if its warm where you are), and make up the difference. being willing to part with your own $$ (or even better, being willing to work for it) goes a LONG way towards showing your parents that you're responsible enough to have something like this. you've done the research to find out what's good and what's worthwhile, you're familiar with the subject (especially using your dad's D70), and if you're willing to part with some of your hard earned money (or time), they'll be supportive.

btw, don't forget you'll need memory cards for this. you should add that into the cost of the camera unless you have the correct ones already in something else.

Tel

Quote Originally Posted by dante
    how much can you chip in? do odd jobs, shovel snow (mow lawns if its warm where you are), and make up the difference. being willing to part with your own $$ (or even better, being willing to work for it) goes a LONG way towards showing your parents that you're responsible enough to have something like this. you've done the research to find out what's good and what's worthwhile, you're familiar with the subject (especially using your dad's D70), and if you're willing to part with some of your hard earned money (or time), they'll be supportive.

btw, don't forget you'll need memory cards for this. you should add that into the cost of the camera unless you have the correct ones already in something else.
    I've already got a 256 lined up, and plan on getting a 1gb.

But yeah, I plan on putting in 60$, cause its all I have thanks to the Nintendo Wii (Totally worth it though) But yeah, They bought my little brother a PAS For like 150, So I'm thinking they'll spend that much on me (they like me more. )

Just save some more up. Heard Staples had a sale on D50's for $349 or so. D40's replaced the D50 so you may want to see how much those are running. But these use a SD card, not CF. The lenses will fit though,

Tel

I've got an SD card too. Anyways, I have no way to get money, and my dad is using his camera more and more. So, I'm guessing this is the only way, cause of stupid child labor laws and stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information