Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

question on a few Cameras

alright, im been looking into getting a DSLR and ive been looking around checking the prices and everything and im not sure what to get, i really want to get a olympus evolt-330, but what turns me away from it is that i really havnt heard anything around here on people who use it, then there is the nikon D50 i hear so much good about it and i think everywhere i went it was recomended to me as a good starter camera, but what i dont like is alot of people use it and i think if i where to get a nikon id go D200 becuase i dont want to have to get a new camera in a coulpe of years, which at one place they told me not to bother with a D50, and lastly one of my friends just got a cannon D20 and he likes it alot, so id just like to get your thoughts on these few cameras it be apricated

im just going to college and im going for photography, so i will have to do alittle of everything at first, but my main goal is to shoot for a sports magazine, or a magazine like rolling stone, so there is the type of work i would be dealing with

Re: question on a few Cameras

The first big bad question in these matters is always about budget. If you have the money for a Canon 20D or a Nikon D200, I wouldn't event consider the D50. Aside from choosing a body, though, you'll want to carefully look at the lenses each company makes and decide what is right for you because that's where the big investment is. Camera bodies will come and go every 2 years or so, but your glass should stay with you much longer than that.

As far as narrowing the brands down, I've never had any experience with Olympus DSLRs so I don't have a valid opinion, but I would imagine there is a reason that almost every pro out there uses Canon or Nikon (lens quality being a big factor).

If its a toss up between Canon and Nikon, in all honesty they both make such great products that you can't really declare one better than the other. Again, figure out if you'd rather invest in Canon or Nikon glass. After that, I'd say compare the 20D (or 30D) vs the D200, or the Rebel XT vs the D70.

Nikon comparison chart: http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/...art_060530.pdf

Canon comparison chart (its a little out of date):
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=111
    30D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 300 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 10-22, 85 1.8, 580EX
    Web Designer & Developer
    www.erikhagen.net
    www.callutheran.edu
    www.clusports.com

hmm, thanks for the advice, i see what your saying about the lenses, you said if i have the money for a canano 20D or a nikon d200 not to consider a D50, but i thought the 20D and the D50 where both only ranging around 600-700 now?

No, the Canon 20D is still around 1000-1100 for the body. The D50 is more on par with the Rebel XT in terms of price and features.
    Web Designer & Developer
    www.erikhagen.net
    www.callutheran.edu
    www.clusports.com

I just realized how rediculous the model numbers have gotten with Canon and Nikon. We have the 1D, 5D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 350D, 300D, D50, D70, D200. Pretty soon we're going to run out of numbers here. I hope the next generation of bodies have better naming conventions, or at least that Canon and Nikon don't go with the same convention.

And another thing with Canon, if the 1D is the bees knees, then OK, the 5D is a step down, then the 10D is another step down, but then.....what? The 20D is better, and the 30D better still. I guess its not a big deal, but its a bit funny. As someone who deals with branding and marketing issues daily, sometimes I wonder what the Canon PR team is thinking....
    Web Designer & Developer
    www.erikhagen.net
    www.callutheran.edu
    www.clusports.com

haha, yeah looking into all these cameras i noticed they love the same letters and numbers gets a bit confusing but i look at the 20D i can't find a price on it i know bestbuy has the 30D for $1,500

Brick and mortar stores are probably replacing the 20D with the 30D, so it may be harder to find in store. Most online stores are selling both since Canon is still offering the 20D. The good news is that the price is falling on the 20D, and since they're both essentially the same camera, it may be a better deal for some people.

Check out B&H, they're pretty much THE go to guys for anything in professional photo and video. They have the 20D for only $1050: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Also, I would avoid Best Buy if you can for DSLRs, they tend to be more expensive and there are usually better deals online. B&H currently has the 30D for $1350: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
    Web Designer & Developer
    www.erikhagen.net
    www.callutheran.edu
    www.clusports.com

Thread Information