Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Digital Rebel (300D) and and Vivitar 285HV

Is anyone using this combination?

I am thinking of purchasing the 300D and would like to pair it up with a Vivitar 285.

I also have a 300EZ speedlite for my canon 630 EOS, does anyone know if I can use this flash with the 300D?

Any opinions or comments?

Quote Originally Posted by joseg31039
    Is anyone using this combination?

I am thinking of purchasing the 300D and would like to pair it up with a Vivitar 285.

I also have a 300EZ speedlite for my canon 630 EOS, does anyone know if I can use this flash with the 300D?

Any opinions or comments?
    none of the EZ line flashes work with digital SLRs. The 285 will have to have a safe sync voltage, 6 volts or under, or you risk frying your camera. If the voltage runs high you can get a Wein Safesync adapter that will regulate the voltage.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

285hv

The 285HV has a published trigger voltage of 12.0 Volts. My unit is at 13.3V.

Canon USA says anything over 6V may damage an EOS camera. "May"...what the hell is that?

Your call. Oh, and you can use the EZ flash, but you have to use it in the manual mode - thank God it's digital, or you'd never be able to dial in the correct amount.

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    According to Vivitar's support site the voltage on the newer 285s is approx 6v. I use mine on my 10D without any problems. If you're not sure you can get a voltage tester - Radio Shack should have them.

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thread Information