Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

DSLR Super Wide Zooms

As a landscape guy, I've always loved super-wide angles. I'm about to pull the trigger on either the Sigma 10-20, the Tokina 11-18 or the Tokina 12-24 (can't really afford the Nikkor 12-24), but I'm seeing a bunch of conflicting test results and user reviews. At this point, I'm leaning toward the Sigma, but I wondered if other members had experience with these lenses and some observations.

Thanks!

Re: DSLR Super Wide Zooms

The only one I've used of this group is the Nikon, but I don't own it. It's a great lens, and I hear that the Tokina is almost as good - probably main difference being wide-open sharpness. I think that 11-18 is actually made by Tamron, but I think I might wind up with that Sigma 10-20. It's wider than anything else, focuses very close and seems to be as good as and about the same price as the others (Nikon at twice the money excepted, of course).

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    The only one I've used of this group is the Nikon, but I don't own it. It's a great lens, and I hear that the Tokina is almost as good - probably main difference being wide-open sharpness. I think that 11-18 is actually made by Tamron, but I think I might wind up with that Sigma 10-20. It's wider than anything else, focuses very close and seems to be as good as and about the same price as the others (Nikon at twice the money excepted, of course).
    Yes, all that and the Sigma has HSM with full time manual focussing. 12-24 Tokina has a push pull focus ring that is at times difficult to change and easy to forget that it's in man focus. Then it's a CUSS ring.
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmc
    Tokina has a push pull focus ring that is at times difficult to change and easy to forget that it's in man focus.
    I have the 28-80 f2.8 and it also has this ring (you've got this one too I think). I hated it when I got it because I did the same thing a couple of times. Actually I bumped it and didn't realize that it was in manual focus right away - thought not crossing my mind right away because I wasn't using it.

After awhile you get used to it - I suppose I'd rather not have that option than have it the way it is (better yet a switch on the side), but at this point I don't think it would keep me from buying one of their lenses.

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I have the 28-80 f2.8 and it also has this ring (you've got this one too I think). I hated it when I got it because I did the same thing a couple of times. Actually I bumped it and didn't realize that it was in manual focus right away - thought not crossing my mind right away because I wasn't using it.

After awhile you get used to it - I suppose I'd rather not have that option than have it the way it is (better yet a switch on the side), but at this point I don't think it would keep me from buying one of their lenses.

I also have the 28-80 and the ring is much easier to work than my copy of the 12-24. I love the optical and build quality(of 12-24), but I have to take the camera and focus ring in a very firm grip, and sometimes change my grip on the ring to move it. Of course I can't keep the cam up to my eye when I do this.
    The Sigma design seems like it'd be easier to live with.
    MO,
    Mark.

Thread Information