• 06-03-2004, 06:23 AM
    pixelcutter
    Problem with Digital Rebel
    I have a perplexing issue with my Canon Digital rebel.On every frame,there is a circular dark shadow towards the right edge of the frame. I have several lenses,and I get the same shadow with all of them-including the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera.
    Any suggestions?
  • 06-03-2004, 08:21 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelcutter
    I have a perplexing issue with my Canon Digital rebel.On every frame,there is a circular dark shadow towards the right edge of the frame. I have several lenses,and I get the same shadow with all of them-including the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera.
    Any suggestions?

Are you using a "protective filter?" If so, remove it when you shoot.
  • 06-03-2004, 09:10 AM
    pixelcutter
    No filter of any kind.It's not a situation with vignetting.The 'shadow' is a diffuse pea size (at around 8"X10" magnification) grey area (towards the right center edge of the frame) that can be corrected in photoshop,but it is very annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    Are you using a "protective filter?" If so, remove it when you shoot.

• 06-03-2004, 09:28 AM
    Sean Dempsey
    post a clear picture of it.
  • 06-03-2004, 10:12 AM
    pixelcutter
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here is an example.it's most obvious in areas of even tonality.(blue sky in this case)
  • 06-03-2004, 10:22 AM
    Sebastian
    Dust, clean your sensor.
  • 06-03-2004, 10:34 AM
    pixelcutter
    You are right! I VERY,VERY CAREFULLY hit it with some canned air and the spot disappered!
    The shadow has been there for all of my 1280 exposures,and the camera was new in the box when I bought it.Hmmm........
    in any case,thanks for the assistance!
  • 06-03-2004, 10:46 AM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

You are right! I VERY,VERY CAREFULLY hit it with some canned air and the spot disappered!
    The shadow has been there for all of my 1280 exposures,and the camera was new in the box when I bought it.Hmmm........
    in any case,thanks for the assistance!

Don't EVER use canned air, there's potential for damaging the sensor. Use a good blower bulb like the Giotto or similar. Sensor swabs with eclipse fluid are popular as well, but should be used carefully.
  • 06-03-2004, 10:55 AM
    pixelcutter
    Since I never cleaned the sensor before,I didn't have the correct tool.I gingerly pulled the trigger on the canned air before I put it up to the sensor.The air was barely coming out of the can.This little whisper of air pressure was enough to clean the sensor without damaging it.
    In the future,I will have the correct tool on hand,but this method worked O.K. in a pinch. I realize that doing this still falls under the 'don't try this at home' methodology...
  • 06-03-2004, 11:16 AM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Since I never cleaned the sensor before,I didn't have the correct tool.I gingerly pulled the trigger on the canned air before I put it up to the sensor.The air was barely coming out of the can.This little whisper of air pressure was enough to clean the sensor without damaging it.
    In the future,I will have the correct tool on hand,but this method worked O.K. in a pinch. I realize that doing this still falls under the 'don't try this at home' methodology...

You got it. :D