Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Portrait Lens Indecision

This is my 1st post though I've been reading the forums for over a month and could use some guidence. I'm also new to digital. I have a D70s with a 18-70 zoom that I've done 1 portrait shoot with but was considering a fixed lens. My local photo shop suggested either a 50mm and adding a teleconverter if necessary or the 60mm Macro. I really have no interest in macro, so I'm seeking some guidence on which way to go. FWIW, the 50mm is 125.00 and the 60mm is 425.00 Thanks

Re: Portrait Lens Indecision

50mm! Enough said lol. (But then I am biased toward that lens).

Hi golfgoofey, welcome to PR The 50mm is a great lens. However, if I was looking for a prime just for portrait work, I would take a look at the 85mm f/1.8D. They are $399.95 from B&H. Both are nice and sharp but, the 85mm will give you a bit more "pull".
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Thanks guys, Im using a 13 x 13 room and my concern with the 85mm, after trying a 105mm is the distance I'll be from the model in order to photo a standing body shot.

Ahhh but Aaron, if the D70 has a 1.6 crop factor, then the 50mm effectively becomes roughly an 85mm portrait lens anyway

Thanks for that info. Like I said, I'm new to the DSLR snd I can't imagine the camera shop would have told me that. That's exactly why I'm here and after checking out your links I'm favoring the 50mm as it is.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

My favorite portrait lens is the Nikon 70-200 VR. Waaaaay expensive, but worth it.

I've also done a few with the 50mm 1.8, and its a fantastic lens as well.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    Ahhh but Aaron, if the D70 has a 1.6 crop factor, then the 50mm effectively becomes roughly an 85mm portrait lens anyway
    Hello my sweet portrait queen, yes I am aware of the crop factor Personally, I like the extra draw of the longer focal length. gg, if you are shooting in a 13x13 room and need to do full body shots, that pretty much eliminates the 85 though.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Hello my sweet portrait queen, yes I am aware of the crop factor Personally, I like the extra draw of the longer focal length. gg, if you are shooting in a 13x13 room and need to do full body shots, that pretty much eliminates the 85 though.
    My dear Aaron
    At one point I thought you didn't know how to write a copyright symbol haha

I'm just kidding.

my reason for mentioning it...

Quote Originally Posted by golfgoofey
    Thanks for that info. Like I said, I'm new to the DSLR snd I can't imagine the camera shop would have told me that. That's exactly why I'm here and after checking out your links I'm favoring the 50mm as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    ...At one point I thought you didn't know how to write a copyright symbol haha...
    DOH!...LOL :blush2:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by golfgoofey
    This is my 1st post though I've been reading the forums for over a month and could use some guidence. I'm also new to digital. I have a D70s with a 18-70 zoom that I've done 1 portrait shoot with but was considering a fixed lens. My local photo shop suggested either a 50mm and adding a teleconverter if necessary or the 60mm Macro. I really have no interest in macro, so I'm seeking some guidence on which way to go. FWIW, the 50mm is 125.00 and the 60mm is 425.00 Thanks
    What's wrong with the kit lens for shooting portraits? The focal lengths you are proposing to buy are covered by the kit lens. The only shortcoming that I can foresee is that you cannot open it up to blur the background like you can with a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 but you can improvise and get almost the same results. The best part of using this lens is that it's already paid for.

70mm translates to 105mm for 35mm, which is a great focal length for portraiture. 60mm translates to 90, which is also a great focal length for portraiture. I've used my D70 with the included 18-70mm lens for portraits of my family and the pictures turn out great, in my opinion.

Actually, the more I've read and researched this week the more I'm thinking along those same lines SW, at least until my experience grows. Good news for me is I can spend a little more for lights.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Squidward
    The only shortcoming that I can foresee is that you cannot open it up to blur the background like you can with a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 but you can improvise and get almost the same results.
    1.8 is also good for low light situations. I use natural light, a majority of the time, so being able to go higher than 3.5 often comes in handy. Such as in a church at a wedding when flash is usually not allowed.
    And I'd rather use a higher aperture than a higher ISO to avoid as much grain as possible.

Low light situations.

Thread Information