Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Point & Shot -> DSLR

I have a 3-month old Sony DSC-T50 which is serving me well, although I am getting a bit frustrated by its low light performance. So I may have the possibility of selling the T50 and purchasing a DSLR.

What I really want is great indoor/low-light capability. I'm thinking of purchasing the Nilon D40 DSLR Digital Camera. The size is compact (for DSLR) and pack with a lot of festures. Is this a worthwhile upgrade?

Re: Point & Shot -> DSLR

The camera itself will help a bit with low light performance (higher ISOs with less noise) but the main thing you need is a fast lens. f/2.8 and larger is best. I'm more familiar with the Canon lens selection, but I'm sure there's an equivalent of the cheap 50mm f1.8.

Iron Horse

Re: Point & Shot -> DSLR

FYI, the D40 needs the autofocus in the lens, as it doesn't have an AF motor in the camera body. I'd look at a D50, or maybe a slightly used D70/D70s instead.
    Canon XTi
    Tamron 17-50mm
    Nifty Fifty 1.8

Thread Information