Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

More DSLR "What to buy?"

Looking for a camera since I am taking a photography class now. I'm completely new to photography outside of random tourist p&s stuff. I have been doing some reading and researching on what to get and have come to a few options but can't quite pick. At first I was leaning towards the K100D kit with the rebate coming to $400, then I played with that and an E510 and kinda liked the oly a bit more with the 2 lens kit at $650 (and reading the lenses were a bit better than the pentax one). And then I started looking up the XTi and the D40. I'm wondering how the kit lenses are in the XTi and the D40 2lens kits. For my current budget I think the K100D is the only one I couild afford to buy the body and then get a better lens; the others would be too much so I'd have to go with the kit for now (Trying not to pass $700 at the moment). I still have to see an XTi and D40 in person, but given those options what would suit a beginner well? I liked the 2 lens kits in that it would give more versatility, but it wouldn't be worth it if they aren't good lenses.
    • K100D kit $400

• E-510 2 lens kit $650

• D40 2 lens kit $640

• XTi kit $585

• K100D + a better lens $~550-650

Re: More DSLR "What to buy?"

First off welcome to the forum.
    Have you been able to check out the XTI and D40 in person?

I purchased the XTI as my first DSLR and it is a great camera. With a good kit lens, 18-55mm, and with a $700 limit this lens should also work great for you. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0mm_f_1_8.html. That lens is a great lens for the price, I also purchased this lens with my camera. Check out the post about the 50mm lens on the board.

Have fun,
    James

The 510 has image stabilization which to me is a big selling point. Everything on your list is good however. But the IS allows me to shoot more without a tripod. Also the image quailty is very good too.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

If you haven't started your class, yet, then it is a good idea to verify that it is okay to use a digital camera. My nephew signed up for a photography class three years ago right after he bought a Nikon D70 only to find out that digital cameras were not allowed. I gave him my trusty old Nikon FE2 and he was able to complete the class. If you find that you do, in fact, need an analog camera then I would look for a used SLR camera as those are selling dirt cheap these days.

With regards to a DSLR, it's up to you. Something you may want to consider is the system approach. Most people who buy a DSLR and lens don't buy anything more than that. Maybe they get an extra, longer zoon lens and/or a flash and that's it. Some people, though, want to get more into it and things like dedicated multi flash systems, macro accessories, specialized lenses, and other specialized gear are important to them. Maybe you know someone with a specialized lens that you may want to borrow from time to time, or you may want to dabble in some specialized form of photography. This is where a systems approach comes in. The two big companies are Nikon and Canon. The other manufacturers make great cameras and gears but Nikon and Canon just have more stuff to choose from. In particular, Nikon has been using the same lens mount since 1959. This may not be important to someone who would never buy a non-autofocus lens but the possibility of mounting an old lens onto your new digital camera is real. Granted, the earliest lenses may not simply attach to the bayonet of a new DSLR as there may be interference issues but most will mount. Some lenses may require simple modifications that Nikon can perform quite inexpensively. There are limitations when it comes to doing this (no metering with most DSLRs) but that's usually not a problem as digital allows you to see the results almost immediately so hunting and pecking to find the right exposure is not a big deal. I've used my 55mm f3.5 Micro-Nikkor that was made back around 1977 with my D70 that was made in 2004 in fully manual mode and I have taken some great shots with this combo.

You cannot do this with Canon as they changed their lens mount in the late '80's or early '90's and the earlier lenses, for the most part, do not mount on to newer cameras. I don't know where Pentax or Olympus stand on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidward
    In particular, Nikon has been using the same lens mount since 1959. This may not be important to someone who would never buy a non-autofocus lens but the possibility of mounting an old lens onto your new digital camera is real. Granted, the earliest lenses may not simply attach to the bayonet of a new DSLR as there may be interference issues but most will mount. Some lenses may require simple modifications that Nikon can perform quite inexpensively. There are limitations when it comes to doing this (no metering with most DSLRs) but that's usually not a problem as digital allows you to see the results almost immediately so hunting and pecking to find the right exposure is not a big deal. I've used my 55mm f3.5 Micro-Nikkor that was made back around 1977 with my D70 that was made in 2004 in fully manual mode and I have taken some great shots with this combo.

You cannot do this with Canon as they changed their lens mount in the late '80's or early '90's and the earlier lenses, for the most part, do not mount on to newer cameras. I don't know where Pentax or Olympus stand on this issue.
    Biased? You are right when you say that Nikon has used the same type of mount for a long time. Nikon also has a lot of compatibility issues with that mount. It's downright confusing. Nikon Lens Compatibility Chart. Since the introduction of the EF mount on Canon cameras in 1987(Canon switched to auto focus then and decided the bayonet mount wouldn't allow them to offer the performance they wanted in AF. Since the intro of the EOS system large numbers of pro sports photographers have switched to this system because of it's robust performance).

Since the switch in '87, EVERY EF lens will fit ANY EF mount camera and function fully on that camera body. Some EF bodies cannot accept an EF-s lens but still ALL EF bodies accept ALL EF lenses manufactured since 1987 and function fully on any EF mount body. And with the addition of the EF-s lenses all EF-s compatible bodies are still fully backward compatible with ALL EF lenses introduced since 1987.

Nikon cannot say this, there are compatibility issues all over the board with Nikon lenses, AF won't work, Aperture won't work, no AF motor in some models, AF motor in body in other models. You can use most Nikon lenses with most Nikon bodies in manual mode.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

What is your budget?

Thread Information