Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

please dont flame

Anyway i know this may start a fight but I have looked at both the nikon d80 and the cannon eos30d and i was wondering what is everyones opinion on both. I like both of these cammeras but am having trouble deciding. So I through this into the snake pit to see which on survives.
    thanks

Konica Minalota Maxxum 70
    20-100mm lens
    70-300

If anyone has a 2x teleconverter up for sale that will fit a minolta A mount and work with af let me know.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: please dont flame

Giving up on the A-mount?

Personally I like the Canon system. I would play with both before you buy.

I think it's more a matter of personal taste than which camera is better. Unless one manufacturer has accessories or features you like better, then I would go for whichever camera feels more comortable or just makes you happier.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

No that is my 35mm camera which i use for school and alot of other things but would like to get another one because we will be going into digital photography and I have wanted one for a while so that is my big reason. I have played with both and like the weight of the d80 and all the features it has but the cannon seems to have some other features that the d80 doesnt have such as the ability to use all cannon lenses (mostly). I like the menu on the nikon though and the higher megapixels for larger prints which we will be doing in class. Much larger than 8x10.
    thanks

20-100mm lens
    70-300

If anyone has a 2x teleconverter up for sale that will fit a minolta A mount and work with af let me know.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Why not Sony to use with your A-mount lenses?

Well my minolta lenses are not in really good shape anyways. And the sony cammera didnt really appeal to me. MY cousin has one and it really didnt fell right to hold and the controls left alot to be desired. That is really the only reason. I will have to go play with the d80 again and eos30d to make a final decision i guess they are very close IMO.
    thanks

20-100mm lens
    70-300

Megapixel Myth

Quote Originally Posted by soundcannon
    I like the menu on the nikon though and the higher megapixels for larger prints which we will be doing in class. Much larger than 8x10.
    thanks
    Resolution isn't as important as camera manufacturers would have you believe. I have made huge (24x36 inch and larger) prints from 4-megapixel cameras. Print quality has more to do with image setup than the number of pixels in the original capture. And in the case of 10 vs. 8-megapixels, it's a negligable difference. So I would recommend, again, that you choose the camera based on features and the system you prefer, rather than resolution. Resolution isn't going to keep you from getting the shot. Camera features, accessories, or comfort might, though.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Ok thanks. I thought that woud be a large difference but ok I will do more looking.

20-100mm lens
    70-300

Either way, you can't lose. I have always shot with Canon equipment, but to be honest, Nikons feel much better in my hand. And one question. You mentioned that the 30D can use all of Canon's lenses. Is the D80 only able to use the G mount lenses? I should probably know this, but a friend of mine is looking at the D80 and I just assumed they could use the standard F mount as well. What's the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by soundcannon
    No that is my 35mm camera which i use for school and alot of other things but would like to get another one because we will be going into digital photography and I have wanted one for a while so that is my big reason. I have played with both and like the weight of the d80 and all the features it has but the cannon seems to have some other features that the d80 doesnt have such as the ability to use all cannon lenses (mostly). I like the menu on the nikon though and the higher megapixels for larger prints which we will be doing in class. Much larger than 8x10.
    thanks
    Tried both the Nikon, Sony, Minolta, Canon and the Canon is the one that I will be buying in the near future. All I now need is for things in the house to stop breaking so that I can get some money together.

The EOS cannot use the FD series which are really old A series of cameras so watch if buying second hand.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Last year I had the opportunity to start completely over. I debated the Nikon vs. Canon for some time. But I went with Canon (again) but not because of the camera, but because they have more of the lenses that I would be needing.

Remember, camera bodies change fairly frequently but lenses less so. Choosing a complete brand solely on a particular model is not wise in my opinion. You are marrying into a whole line. I would always consider lenses first, body second.

But then again, I always shoot manual mode, manual focus - so all my camera bodies are as dumb as the boxes they come in
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

I think any of the current DSLR's will give you good results. Try handling all the different cameras, see which one feels comfortable to you. Then make sure you get decent lenses.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Greg the nikon d80 uses all the nikon lenses
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

i have not been on here in a while and have had a chance to look at them some more and I think i am going with the eos30d the menus are a little more difficult to use but it seems to be more versatile. It has a-lot of different functions that the d80 doesn't have as well as a very large line of lenses available. I also like the fact that the cannon has two separate dials for apature and speed adjustments. I usually shoot all manual so speed of adjustment is very important and the Nikon you have one knob and have to hit a button to change the apature which is how my Minolta works which is not bad when your subject is slow or not moving while the cannon allows to be adjusted easily without fumbling around the camera. the body on the cannon also seems to fit my hands better since they are a rather large set of hands. lol Only thing I wonder is if any one has some pictures taken with each camera so I can get an idea cause if I cant see a difference then I will know what i really want. Another thing I found is for a-lot of action shots I do speed is important so 3fps compared to 5 is a blistering difference. Also what is raw mode because it is crazy fast in that mode.

20-100mm lens
    70-300

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I haven't used either of those cameras, but I've heard great reviews about them.

On going the Nikon/Canon route- it really doesn't matter as long as you know how to use your gear. My personal gear is Nikon (D2h, D70, FM, and N65) which I love. I chose Nikon because my Dad had Nikon cameras & lenses, and I was able to inherit his gear.

At the sports company I work for, they use Canon. I'm getting used to the cameras (EOS 1 series) but they don't quite feel right in my hands. The Nikon bodies I think are a little smaller and when I'm shooting soccer for 8 hours a day on saturdays, gripping that slightly smaller D2h body feels great.

But for sports, that 5 fps is nice. RAW mode is the camera shooting in its highest image setting. RAW is your digital negative. You can do a lot of adjustments, and can save a borderline shot (exposure wise) Do a search for RAW and I believe there is a couple threads on the site where RAW vs Jpg has been discussed.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Ok Thanks. I have bigger hands so they both feel pretty good but the set up on the nikon is slow. You have to adjust the speed the press a button to adjust the aputure. I have gotten good at this on my minolta but would like the extra dial for quickness.

20-100mm lens
    70-300

Thread Information