Pentax * ist DS

Printable View

• 12-29-2004, 05:12 PM
    JEANFT
    Pentax * ist DS
    Hi
    I would like to get some feedback on the Pentax ist DS please...Some reviews mention it is a bit slow...
    Would it be a smarter move to go with a good P&S , rather than limit myself to the Pentax with the 18-55 zoom ? I would have to pay far more to buy good quality lenses...
    Thanks
    JF
  • 12-29-2004, 05:24 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Pentax * ist DS
    Buy the *ist DS. I don't think you'll find a point-and-shoot that comes close. I'm not sure what the reviews you read were referring to when they said, "slow." But that camera will definitely be faster than any compact digital. If it's the lens you're worried about, slow probably refers to the aperture. I used that lens with the Pentax *ist D (see review) and I thought it was great. I'm sure it's not as good as the best Pentax lenses, but I didn't have any complaints about it. It was a great, inexpensive, all-purpose lens.
  • 12-29-2004, 07:08 PM
    JEANFT
    Hi
    Thanks a lot.
    After checking the cons:- softness of images ( can be corrected later )
    - continous shooting not as fast as competiton ( not issue for me )
    - In low light the focus is a bit slower if you use flash assist. ( not a prob)
    My main priority is to find something compact .
    Any recommendation for a better zoom from Sigma ,Tamron or Vivitar ? Or Pentax even...
    Thanks again
    JF
  • 12-30-2004, 02:19 AM
    peted56
    Sigma also have an 18-125mm that you may like better. I went with the 18-55mm Sigma and the 55-200mm Sigma, I expect that at sometime in the future I will look at a 4-500mm lens, can't do that with a P&S. I really think if it is a problem deciding if you need a D-SLR then perhaps one of the big zooming Panasonics may suit you better.

I also have a Sony V1 and that is pretty fast, my Pentax *ist DS kills it for speed it is awesome and also has the choice of manual ring focus and interchangeable lenses. The sensor in the DS will produce much better enlargements.

Cheers.

Pete D
  • 01-07-2005, 06:52 PM
    cglenable
    I have been using the *ist DS for approximately one month and I am very happy with it. The most appealing aspects are the small size, construction quality and nice feel of the camera. Also, the fact that it works with all my existing Pentax lenses and my flash unit is a great benefit. I have used other digital cameras and played a bit with a friends D70. It is a good camera but seems huge in comparison. Larger LCD on the *ist DS as well. I have no problem recommending this camera to anyone looking for a digital SLR in this price range.
  • 01-12-2005, 01:19 PM
    tijean
    Message deleted. Double post. Sorry.
  • 01-12-2005, 01:24 PM
    tijean
    Quote:

Hi
    Thanks a lot.
    After checking the cons:- softness of images ( can be corrected later )
    This is a left over from the *istD, that's default was what is 'natural' mode on the DS. Sharpening, contrast, and saturation are low in this mode. This allows the camera to capture the best raw material for post processing (less likely to blow highlights, have sharpening artifacts, ect.). The *istDS has both 'natural' and 'vivid' mode. Vivid mode cranks up the sharpening, contrast, and saturation to the range that is default in other DSLRs. This was a selling point for me, as it gives you more flexability and creative control while keeping thr ability to flip it into what I call "digicam mode" and shot without thinking or post processing.

Quote:

- continous shooting not as fast as competiton ( not issue for me )
    *istDS: 2.8 fps up to 8 images
    Digital Rebel: 2.5 fps max 4 images
    D70: 3 fps, up to 12 JPEG frames

If you want to get technical, that is. ;)

Quote:

- In low light the focus is a bit slower if you use flash assist. ( not a prob)
    It is, reportedly, milliseconds slower than the D70 in low light. I've played with the D70 and own the DS. It is definately milliseconds slower in low light. The only time I have had the camera use the flash assist is when playing with it in my subbasement of a living room with only the (small) TV and computer on (and pointed away from both). If you are using it for an application where milliseconds count, get a Canon 20D ($1600ish?).

Quote:

My main priority is to find something compact.
    It is in my purse right now. No, I'm not kidding. I also do not have a small purse. Honestly, the size difference in it and the digital Rebel is by no means huge, but I, personally, find it more comfortable to hold. That is one girl's opinion and HIGHLY subjective. It is still bigger than a digicam and bigger than an old metal SLR, like the K-1000. I'd seriously suggest manhandling a couple at a camera store before buying anything.
    Quote:

Any recommendation for a better zoom from Sigma ,Tamron or Vivitar ? Or Pentax even...
    The 18-55 is not the world's best lens, but it is also at most $50 when ordered with the camera, and an absolutely steal at that. If nothing else, get it and sell it off on eBay for $150. It is (and I just reporting here) better than the Rebel's and on par with the D70's. I'll pull up the test results if needed, but I'm feeling lazy right now.

If you'd like an upgrade, go for the 16-45/4.0. No faster, but reportedly has better sharpness, detail reproduction, and color. I don't think it's worth the $$$ ($400ish), but all the people who have it would probably disagree with me.

I'm saving my pennies for either the FA 24/2 (a little under $400) or 31/1.8 Limited (let's not talk price), but I have always been a big fan of primes.

As for any percieved brand biased, I own a Nikon digicam, Canon printer, and Canon scanner. I would not trade any of those for anything (okay, the Coolpix 4500 could use an upgrade). I also own a small arsenal of old Pentax cameras and lenses, al of which would probably net enough at a yard sale to cover dinner.

Hey John, any objections to a cut n' paste review? ;) Naw, I'll get to it, I will.

Oh! I almost missed an oppurtunity to pug my own stuff! My gallery (on this site) is full of *istDS stuff.

Here's another (soooo not mine: http://193.77.104.165/test/index.html
    (a few outdoor pictures accidentally taken in iso 1600)

Oh, and as for the digicam idea, well, don't do it. Unless having a pocket cam is your absolute number one priority, then you'd be giving up way too much speed, quality, and flexibility going the digicam route.