• 12-27-2008, 12:30 AM
    AmirVscas
    which one of these lenses should i get?
    Hello Everyone

Which one of these lenses should i get? any recommendations?

a) Nikon 50mm f1/2
    b) Canon 85mm f1.8
    c) Canon 17-40mm f/4L

I have a canon rebel XT and the only lens i have right now is the Canon 50mm 1.8. I'm thinking about getting the nikon lens because you can get great bokeh results with that lens. Like if i want to get the f/1.2 on canon i have to pay 1300$ im getting the same thing with 400$. I only have to get a nikon-canon adapter which doesn't effect the quality bcs it doesnt have a mirror. What do you guys think? i'm mostly into night photography and randoms street shots in daylight from benches, people, cars, and etc.
  • 12-27-2008, 08:26 AM
    Loupey
    Re: which one of these lenses should i get?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AmirVscas
    I only have to get a nikon-canon adapter which doesn't effect the quality bcs it doesnt have a mirror.

Huh? Never heard of such a thing - so forget about option "a".

Quote:

i'm mostly into night photography and randoms street shots in daylight from benches, people, cars, and etc.

Based on this, the 85mm will tend to be too long. The 17-40mm will be better but you will find it too slow (f/4) for night photography.
  • 12-27-2008, 10:29 AM
    Ron Kruger
    If it were me, I'd get the Nikon 50 f1.2, not only because it is very fast and will give you an equivelent of about 70mm in film (about what we see) for general use, but because it is a fixed lens and fixed lenses are superior to any variable or zoom lenses in quality of image.
  • 12-27-2008, 10:39 AM
    Frog
    I'm pretty sure you won't have auto-focus with that adaptor.
  • 12-27-2008, 11:33 AM
    Ron Kruger
    Good point, Frog. I didn't think of that. Generally, it's best to stick with lenses made by the same manufacturer as the camera. Besides, after rereading the original post, I see you already have a fairly fast 50mm.
    So, for what you say you want to do, I'd suggest a wide-angle zoom, such as the 17-40 that you list, but not an f/4. You'll need at least an f/2.8 or faster. Faster than that, and we're talking big bucks again, but generally you get what you pay for.
  • 12-27-2008, 12:03 PM
    AmirVscas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Loupey
    Huh? Never heard of such a thing - so forget about option "a"..

there are Adapter For Nikon Lens to Canon EOS body and they cost around $30. Since the adapter won't have any glass in it, image quality won't be affected, and since the adapter will move the back of the lens farther away from the mirror, collisions shouldn't be an issue. The electronics of the lens won't be able to talk to the camera, so manual, stop-down metering will be required.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Kruger
    Good point, Frog. I didn't think of that. Generally, it's best to stick with lenses made by the same manufacturer as the camera. Besides, after rereading the original post, I see you already have a fairly fast 50mm.
    So, for what you say you want to do, I'd suggest a wide-angle zoom, such as the 17-40 that you list, but not an f/4. You'll need at least an f/2.8 or faster. Faster than that, and we're talking big bucks again, but generally you get what you pay for.

i dont know my budget is around 700$ so i dont have a lot to spend on faster zoom lens. I'm thinking of maybe saving up a bit and getting the canon 50mm 1.2
  • 12-27-2008, 12:42 PM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

there are Adapter For Nikon Lens to Canon EOS body and they cost around $30. Since the adapter won't have any glass in it, image quality won't be affected, and since the adapter will move the back of the lens farther away from the mirror, collisions shouldn't be an issue. The electronics of the lens won't be able to talk to the camera, so manual, stop-down metering will be required.

i dont know my budget is around 700$ so i dont have a lot to spend on faster zoom lens. I'm thinking of maybe saving up a bit and getting the canon 50mm 1.2

Nikon with Adapter:

- It will affect the IQ. May be insignificant and un-noticeable, but it will.
    - You will have to manually focus.
    - You will have to manually stop down the aperture. The Nikon needs an aperture ring.
    - The lens will not focus at infinity with the adapter.

TF
  • 12-27-2008, 01:12 PM
    AmirVscas
    yea you guys are right. im giving up on the nikon lens. i have a canon so lets stick with the canon lens and save the trouble. the thing is that with price range i have (700-800$) i can't really get a fast zoom lens. the thing is i want to save myself the trouble and keep the tripod at home. but i don't think thats possible till i can get my hands on one fastest lens ever made the leica one :D so any recomendations for a good canon lenses for daylight photography of people, street, cars, anythin interesting that gets to me while walking in a busy downtown street?

for the night shots i think i'm just going to start saving up for the canon 50mm 1.2 and for now use my canon 50mm 1.8 and carry my tripod in very dark places.
  • 12-27-2008, 02:18 PM
    Loupey
    Quote:

Oh, you're talking about a manual extension tube! I'm familiar with those. But I wasn't aware they made any that cross platforms (Canon to Nikon). Then, yes, they only for macro work and won't work beyond a few inches on a 50mm lens.
  • 12-27-2008, 02:22 PM
    Loupey
    Quote:

for the night shots i think i'm just going to start saving up for the canon 50mm 1.2 and for now use my canon 50mm 1.8 and carry my tripod in very dark places.

If you plan to shoot night scenes only at f/1.8 or f/1.2, then you're going to get some really crappy DOF.

Also, if you're planning to save up for a 50mm f/1.2L, why not the 35mm f/1.4L or even the 24-105mm f/4L IS?

Even though the 24-105mm is only an f/4, the internal stabilization will allow you to shoot many night scenes hand-held with terrific results. The 24-105mm is my standard walk-about lens - day or night.
  • 12-27-2008, 02:31 PM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Oh, you're talking about a manual extension tube! I'm familiar with those. But I wasn't aware they made any that cross platforms (Canon to Nikon). Then, yes, they only for macro work and won't work beyond a few inches on a 50mm lens.

Except their purpose is to adapt, not to extend so they are made as short as possible. Probably act as a 5mm (+???) extension tube. - TF

EDIT: Actually, since they are claiming focus at infinity, I guess they are doing it with zero extension. Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Adapter-for-...3A1%7C294%3A50

TF
  • 12-27-2008, 02:47 PM
    Loupey
    I guess I learned something new today!

Still, a mechanical tube with no correcting glass element with no extension with infinity focus capability defies logic.

For $8 I suppose I should buy one to try it out. But I haven't bought nor sold anything on Ebay yet and I don't want it to start with this one. I'll have to check it out at one of my local dealers.
  • 12-27-2008, 03:16 PM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

I guess I learned something new today!

Still, a mechanical tube with no correcting glass element with no extension with infinity focus capability defies logic.

For $8 I suppose I should buy one to try it out. But I haven't bought nor sold anything on Ebay yet and I don't want it to start with this one. I'll have to check it out at one of my local dealers.

Except they cost a whole lot more.

http://www.adorama.com/CZNKEOSA.html...anon&item_no=4

I've been studying up on adapters to fit an old SR mount Minolta bellows on a Sony alpha camera. To achieve focus at infinity on this adapter, it needs glass. The non-glass varieties are used for macro only.

TF
  • 12-28-2008, 07:20 AM
    Franglais
    Quote:

Hello Everyone

Which one of these lenses should i get? any recommendations?

a) Nikon 50mm f1/2
    b) Canon 85mm f1.8
    c) Canon 17-40mm f/4L

I have a canon rebel XT and the only lens i have right now is the Canon 50mm 1.8. I'm thinking about getting the nikon lens because you can get great bokeh results with that lens. Like if i want to get the f/1.2 on canon i have to pay 1300$ im getting the same thing with 400$. I only have to get a nikon-canon adapter which doesn't effect the quality bcs it doesnt have a mirror. What do you guys think? i'm mostly into night photography and randoms street shots in daylight from benches, people, cars, and etc.

A few comments on the original question:

1. You're thinking of using your Rebel with a 50mm f1.2 or 85mm f1.8 lens wide-open? Are you sure that your camera can focus accurately enough? I ask the question because I remember reading a review of the Canon 50mm f1.2 (I think) on the latest EOS-1 series and the resolution was limited by the camera not being able to focus accurately enough. You're asking your Rebel to do that and in low light as well.

2. You haven't mentioned any IS lenses. In low light - and subjects that don't move - you can get sharp pictures at really low shutter speeds. The best choice would be the 17-55 f2.8 which is only slightly more than the 17-40 f4 that you mention (plus it has a more useful zoom range). If you stick at the wideangle end the latest 18-55 kit lens has IS, it's only 2/3 stop slower and it's really cheap..
  • 01-02-2009, 04:27 AM
    paulandre
    i say go with the flexibility with the zoom. but the F4.0 maybe tricky at night. gotta get a tripod. [IMG]http://**************/img/1858/y08m1110mhmd/2.gif[/IMG]