• 09-27-2004, 12:01 PM
    munckee
    Olympus OM lenses on a digital SLR body?
    I am very interested in purchasing a digital SLR body in the near future. I currently have an Olympus OM setup with many lenses. Are there any adapters available that will allow me to use my current lenses on a digital body?

Are there any drawbacks to doing so?
  • 09-29-2004, 11:17 AM
    another view
    There aren't any DSLR's out there that will use these lenses. Olympus has an E-1 system but it's a new lens mount, and everything else. I don't know if there is an adapter out there but there could be - I have seen them for Nikon to Canon etc, but I'm sure it will be completely manual including stop down metering.
  • 09-30-2004, 10:12 AM
    munckee
    Re: Olympus OM lenses on a digital SLR body?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    There aren't any DSLR's out there that will use these lenses. Olympus has an E-1 system but it's a new lens mount, and everything else. I don't know if there is an adapter out there but there could be - I have seen them for Nikon to Canon etc, but I'm sure it will be completely manual including stop down metering.

Further research reveals that there ARE adapters availible to make existing DSLR's use these lenses. The Olympus E1 in particular has an adapter availible from olympus. I'm still researching other brands at the moment.

The downfall is that the camera will only support the lens in full manual mode.
  • 09-30-2004, 02:30 PM
    Michael Fanelli
    Re: Olympus OM lenses on a digital SLR body?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by munckee
    Further research reveals that there ARE adapters availible to make existing DSLR's use these lenses. The Olympus E1 in particular has an adapter availible from olympus. I'm still researching other brands at the moment.

The downfall is that the camera will only support the lens in full manual mode.

FWIW, playing with adapters will not work out in the end. Its a lot of trouble for very little payback. Olympus has abandoned the OM base when they switched to digital, time to bite the bullet. My advice is to sell the lenses while they are still worth something and start fresh with Olympus digital or another brand such as Canon, Nikon, or Pentax.