Olympus to Canon?

Printable View

• 06-03-2008, 11:34 PM
    Coleart
    Olympus to Canon?
    Hi everyone,
    About 2 years ago I moved into Digital SLR technology, having used (and still using) film for quite some time. I purchased an Olympus E-300, as well as a Macro Lens for it, and thoroughly enjoyed using it.

Nevertheless, I feel that the E-300 has become outdated and am looking to move onto a new model camera. To this end, I am selling my old E-300, but am confused about which camera to purchase.

I sought advice from my local Camera House store, and they suggested the Canon EOS 450D / Digital Rebel XSi. After researching the camera, it seems like it is a solid system - its MP count thrashes that of the E-300, and most the specs improve as well.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this camera - is it worth the investment? If not, which system is? I use Canon Film SLRs only, and therefore am looking to purchase a Canon Digital SLR so that I can utilize my already-owned lenses.

As a side note, I'd appreciate some ideas of how much I should be looking to get for my E-300, as I'm not sure of there worth these days.

Thanks guys,
    Chris.
  • 06-04-2008, 12:23 AM
    Don Kondra
    Re: Olympus to Canon?
    E-520 :idea:

Cheers, Don
  • 06-04-2008, 02:15 AM
    Coleart
    Hey Don,
    Thanks for the suggestions - I'll investigate the 520 a bit more.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris.
  • 06-14-2008, 09:10 AM
    gahspidy
    Well, if you already have a start with a set of Canon EF lenses than it really makes alot of sense to go with the Canon DSLR system. The XSI is the newest entry level DSLR, but the just replaced XTi, which I have is an excellent camera with lots of great features. do not be fooled by the term "entry level" either. These cameras are loaded with good stuff and great Image Quality and the XTi can be had for under or about 500.00 now, I would think.
    As for pricing the E-300, search through Craigs list and Ebay to see what they are getting for them
  • 06-14-2008, 01:36 PM
    Liz
    I agree with Gary. The XTi is more than a so-called entry-level camera. It is loaded with features and IMO it's a wonderful dslr. Click on the link below and check the specs and the features - B&H is more specific and detailed than what I could repeat here. In the meantime, the price may give you a bit more money to spend on lenses!

Click on the link - scroll down and click on "features" - then "specification" for detailed information.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Rebel_XTi.html

Also you can check the review section here for a pro review...and user reviews

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...x.aspx?TabID=2

Liz
  • 06-14-2008, 04:44 PM
    Don Kondra
  • 06-14-2008, 06:55 PM
    Greg McCary
    I just got a new KEH catalog in today and the 300 is selling for $189.00(body only) But Don, Gary and Liz have already gave you great advise on cameras. Good luck picking a new one out. Be sure and check reviews here and also post one once you get a grip on the new equipment. By the way the Olympus 510 and 520 also have in body image stabilisation. I am not trying to stir you away from Canon, but it is a wonderful feature if you intent to be shooting in low light situations.
  • 06-14-2008, 07:55 PM
    Don Kondra
    FYI today I saw a listing for a used six month old E-510 body only for $350.

Cheers, Don