Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Likes to play in cemeteries GraveyardMistress's Avatar

Question Control knob question - D300

I finally got to take a look at a D300 this past weekend, and I was curious about the control knob on the D300. I noticed on a lot of the DSLRs of both Canon and Nikon, they look relatively the same. But on the D300, it is noticeably different. Is this because it is more of a "pro-level" camera, with not as many predefined settings? Or is it just set up differently? Most of the cameras I have had a chance to use haven't been at the same level as the D300, so if that is the case, that might be why I hadn't run across it. Actually... does it even have any presets?

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: Control knob question - D300

The D300 uses the same control method used on the D200, D1 and D2 series, D3, and F100. Three frequently used functions on the top, drive modes on the locking ring below it.
    Since the D300 is designed as a professional-level camera, shooting modes are controlled separately, using the mode button on the right side of the body near the shutter release. This prevents it from being accidentally changed. There are no automatic modes like the Digital Vari-Program modes in the D80.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Deckcadet has it right.......on the other cameras you showed....there are what are called "Scene modes" - Preselected camera settings relative to Aperature, Shutter speed, AF behavior, and other exposure adjustments, as well as the normal P (program), S (Shutter speed priority), A (Aperature priority & M (full Manual). On the D300 (& other Nikon pro cameras, there are only the 4 modes of shooting (P,A,S & M)....these are accessed by puching the "Mode" button while simotaneously turning the main control dial.

OTOH, controls for WB (White Balance), ISO (ISO), and Qual (Quality of the file saved, Raw, JPeg or TIFF) can be accessed by pushing the buttons displayed and turning the main control dial. These can also be accessed on the D300 via menus.....on the other cameras you posted, I think they are only controllable via menus.

Nikon Pro cameras are designed to put as much easily adjustable via buttons and control dials while looking thru the VF to ease the shooting process.

Len

Likes to play in cemeteries GraveyardMistress's Avatar

Thanks, I had a feeling it was because it was a more "pro-level" camera. Does it have the ability to save user-defined settings, though?

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

in what way?
    You can save your Custom Settings Banks and your Shooting menu banks.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Quote Originally Posted by GraveyardMistress
    Thanks, I had a feeling it was because it was a more "pro-level" camera. Does it have the ability to save user-defined settings, though?
    Depends on what setting.

Saved where?

Len

I would like to see Nikon follow the lead Canon has taken with the three saveable custom settings on the D40 knob. One can get lost in the D300 menu bank if not "electronically gifted" I use Sony, Nikon, and Canon DSLR"S. All have their advantages and disadvantages. The Sony is the easiest to use and understand, with the Nikon being the most complicated.

My advice is to learn to use the A, S, and P knob settings. Once you set your desired settings for each, hitting the mode button and then choosing the function with the rear wheel will get you there fast. All setting can be tweaked as needed. That's a very simplified explanation, much, much more can be done with the menu.
    Last edited by rongarrett; 04-12-2008 at 04:55 AM.

Thread Information