Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: New to the Site

New to the Site

Hi Everyone.

I found this site while googleing Sports Photography and saw a lot of amazing work, noticed a lot of informative people. I have a few questions about photography that I hope you guys can help me with so thanks in advance.

4 years ago I got more serious with photography and bought my first DSLR camera. It was my senior year in high school and I was made head of photography for our school yearbook. At the time I was also going to a career center for commercial photography where I did a lot of studio projects. My camera was a Olympus Evolt E-500 with 14-45mm 3.5-5.6 and a 40-150mm 3.5-4.5. At the time, this camera was pretty good (I assume). I took tons and tons of amazing sports shots for our yearbook (amazing at the time). But after graduation I put the camera down and hadn't really touched it since. I got busy with work and life and just lost interest. Over the past 4 years I have been trying to decide what to go to college for and I never could decide. Over the past few weeks I have started shooting again and am starting to realize (again) that I love photography. I now have realized that this is what I want to do. And yes I realize how hard it is to get into this profession, I am willing to do the time. lol

I still have my e-500 but i am finding that it isn't what it used to be and can not compete with all these new cameras and lenses. So now I am looking to buy a new dslr. I was looking at the Canon EOS 50D. My main focus is sports, as I am going to go back to my high school and shoot for them to build my portfolio. But I also want to do some portraiture. So my question is, what camera body would you recommend and what 2 lenses would you recommend.

Sorry for my long story, and thanks again for any help.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: New to the Site

Hi there and welcome to the site.

I don't do much of either portraiture nor sports and I have only shot with Canon bodies so I'm really not qualified to answer your question.

Assuming you do go with Canon and the 50D (a good mid-level sports camera I think), I'd recommend the 24-105mm f/4L IS and the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. The 24-105mm is extremely sharp and the IS is very good. The 70-200mm is versatile for many sports and a 2x works well with it for long reach applications.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information