Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

new macro setup, what do you recomend

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade to a new camera, my Nikon 995 died I need to use it for my business to take pictures of jewelry for flyers and catalogs, but also a camera that can be used for all around family purposes. I am looking to spend around $ 2,000.00. Someone recommended the Canon proshot pro 1 and another recommended the EOS 10D. What??? They seem to be two totally different cameras. Which one would be best for my purposes or is there one that might be better than these two? I tend to get bored with my digital toys quickly. So, I need something that will keep me satisified for a long while. The complexity of the camera is not an issue I learn very quickly; which is an aspect about photography that I enjoy.

Thank you,
    Confused
    excaliburhowell@yahoo.com

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    get a Drebel w/ a CANON macro lens. if you need a flash, buy one , as the onbourd of ANY camera is not that great. that setup will run you far less than $2000 , leaving plenty to buy another lens/ flash/ card/ another battery/ tripod.........................
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

nikon d 70 kit,and macro lese if thats what you want,i found the nikon had a better build and feel than the canon,nikon has a larger buffer,for fast shooting for a bunch of shots,3 fps as lonf as you hold on.controls are very easy to learn,because you press a button and it tells you what that feature means and does .no shutter lag,wonderful exposures.its beyond a entry level dslr.
    not to knock canon,at all.its just ones preferance.i liked the features of the d70,if you can find one.my friend has a camera store and he has 12 of them presold with deposits,ive seen them on the net,or at bestbuy.com.next day air 19.00.good luck,let us know which one you choose.
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

What about the lens setup for macro. What will give me the greatest depth of field? 50 mm with a life size converter?

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    if you plan to work at close distances from your subject , then YES a 50 macro with the converter(to make it a macro) would definitely give more DOF at f22 than a longer lens would.

but for jewelry I DOUBT that even the canon 180f3.5 macro/ nikon 200f4 micro(no need for such focal length in your case) wouldn't give you MORE than enough DOF .

to be perfectly honest....

my reply of getting a D rebel was SOLELY on you canon comments....... BOTH THE Dreb/10D and the D70 will give you more than enough detail with a good lens.

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH AN OF THE 3 ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the help I will go with the canon 50mm, and "life size converter". Now it comes down to the rebel or 10d?

Thread Information