Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikon SB-800 Flash or Sigma EF-500 DG ST Flash

As a new Nikon D70 owner I am looking for advice on Flash attachments, and whether to go with a Sigma EF- 500 DG ST or spend the big bucks on the Nikon SB-800. Does anyone have experience with the Sigma. $200 is alot of money to save on a flash... Thanks

Re: Nikon SB-800 Flash or Sigma EF-500 DG ST Flash

While Sigma makes good stuff, the Sigma flash reviews here indicate some quality control issues. There aren't any reviews for the EF-500 DG ST yet, but the other two versions of that flash have reviews. Pretty much every owner loves their Nikon flash. I'd spend the extra money on the Nikon.

For more info, check the flash reviews >>
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Since you've got a D70, the SB800 will give you iTTL. This seems to be a huge improvement over past digital TTL systems - I'd definately stick with the SB800. You could also look at the SB600 which is smaller and less expensive, but less powerful.

Small flashes like either of these two don't have tons of power to begin with (depending on what you're doing with it, of course) so I'd probably go for the SB800 if you can afford it.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I am with John on this.
    I am a Nikon photographer, but regardless of what I shot with I'd stick with system stuff.
    It's not that the others stuff is inferior, it's just how I like to do things.
    Maybe what you could do though is take a look at both strobes through each companies websites and compare them that way?
    I have an F100 and have the SB-80.
    Good Luck!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I've tried both of those.

I have a D70 also and played with a Sigma EF-500 DG ST i-TTL version (compatible w/D70) for a couple of weeks. I could never get it to work consistently -- always bumping up and down the exposure compensation requiring many shots to get the flash right. If I was shooting an activity, then I missed that particular situation I was after. Bouncing the flash was even more frustrating.

I returned it and picked up a SB800. It is just awesome. In addition to the Sigma, it can run wireless AND it has an Auto mode for when you don't want to use the camera's metering. If you can stretch your budget, I highly recommend the SB800.

Now the actual Sigma model that is comparable to the SB800 is the EF-500 DG ST SUPER i-TTL. This too can be run wireless, and there are many happy users on DPreview.com. However, it does not have an Auto mode. I never tried it.

I have attached an image goofing around with the SB800 in it's wireless mode. The image is straight off the camera with no PP except downsizing to post here. The flash was on the floor to my left. Using the flash wireless opens up a different dimension. It's a blast!

Good luck,
    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon SB-800 Flash or Sigma EF-500 DG ST Flash-sideflashsmall.jpg  
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Wow! Thanks everyone for the great advice! I guess I spent an arm and a leg already for the D70 and a couple lenses, I may as well splurge and get the SB800. The local camera shop advises to stay with the Nikon stuff too for best results, thanks again!

Thread Information