Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikon Portrait Lens advice - Primes and Weddings

Hi Everyone!

I've been shooting professionally for a year as a second shooter at weddings, I also work in a local studio photoshopping.

I'm considering buying a Prime lense for environmental portrait and wedding portrait work. I'm looking at a Nikon 28mm 2.8 or a Nikon 50mm 1.8, I've read alot about the 50 and it seems to be a very sharp lens, I actually bought an old one for $30.00 from my local camera shop that I have to manual focus, manually set ap and shutter. I like it but I think it might be a little long. It's been so long since I have manually focussed anything it's hard to tell if it is nice and sharp at 2.8, or if it was out of focus.

The 28 doesn't get as good reviews and is more expensive.

I'm really looking for something with a good Bokeh. I considered buying a used 80-200 2.8 but it was an old push-pull and I was worried about dust getting in.

Anyone shoot primes who could offer some advice?

J

Re: Nikon Portrait Lens advice - Primes and Weddings

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaB
    Hi Everyone!

I've been shooting professionally for a year as a second shooter at weddings, I also work in a local studio photoshopping.

I'm considering buying a Prime lense for environmental portrait and wedding portrait work. I'm looking at a Nikon 28mm 2.8 or a Nikon 50mm 1.8, I've read alot about the 50 and it seems to be a very sharp lens, I actually bought an old one for $30.00 from my local camera shop that I have to manual focus, manually set ap and shutter. I like it but I think it might be a little long. It's been so long since I have manually focussed anything it's hard to tell if it is nice and sharp at 2.8, or if it was out of focus.

The 28 doesn't get as good reviews and is more expensive.

I'm really looking for something with a good Bokeh. I considered buying a used 80-200 2.8 but it was an old push-pull and I was worried about dust getting in.

Anyone shoot primes who could offer some advice?

J
    I assume that this is for digital. I have the 50mm f1.8 and 28mm f2.8 Nikon (AF but non -D).

- I don't use the 50mm with digital - I don't often feel the need for a short tele (=75mm in film format).
    - I love the 28mm with my D70 (=42mm film). It's small and inoffensive and I use it in the street a lot. However with my D200 it doesn't resolve as much detail as my 18-70 DX. The "prime lens is best" myth takes a knock

Personally for a wedding - I would avoid anything complicated where you have to do things manually. There's always the risk you make a mistake. I just stick to my tried-and-trusted zooms.

I have the 80-200 f2.8 AF-S (non push-pull) and it's excellent but huge and very heavy. I've had dust on the sensor already after lens changes in wind and I would avoid a push-pull design

Charles

Thread Information