Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikon lenses to Zenit body adapter?

I have a 35 mm Zenit camera which came with its standard Helios lens. It has a unique M42 thread mount which has a 42 mm diameter. I also have some Nikons which of course have a bayonet/T-mount style mounts.

I have seen many forums which ask for adapters to put old M42 threaded lenses onto newer DSLR bayonet/T-mount bodies. This is not the case.

I wish to do the opposite; to find a simple adapter to put my Nikon bayonet/T-mount lenses onto my M42 threaded Zenit EM. This means that this adapter needs a 42 mm M42 male thread (that of the Zenit lens) on one side, & a bayonet/T-mount (that of the Nikon body) on the other.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, if you could find this adapter somewhere to purchase online, or at least reassure me that there's one in existence, I would be eternally grateful!

Re: Nikon lenses to Zenit body adapter?

I cannot help you find one, but I can tell you that it’s not going to work very well. The reason that the M42 lenses are so popular is that the diameter is so small that it can screw into an adapter and still fit into the bayonet mount of the others and keep the same lens to film/sensor distance. The opposite is not going to be true. It will have to be spaced which will change the distance which will require another lens in the adapter to focus. Unless someone makes a really good (i.e. very expensive) adapter, it will significantly degrade the quality of the image.

Someone here in the Nikon forum may be able to give you a better answer. Also try the Nikonian web site/forums.

http://www.nikonians.org/

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thread Information