Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Liz

Lightbulb Filters and DSLR's

I was wondering what photographers here use filters when using the DSLR. The reason I'm asking is because of my own personal experience.

I have yet to use a polarizer with my Rebel 300D. When we had our mini NYC gathering I used the 17-40 lens for the first time. I got deep blue skies all day - from morning right through the bright sunny afternoon. I had tried to purchase a polarizer the day before, but couldn't find one - so I assumed all my pics would be blown. Not so! They were beautiful.

I've had the same experience with the 50mm/1.4 lens - beautiful blue skies on sunny afternoons. I'm always surprised when I see the results. I don't think I ever had that experience with 35mm. I didn't have these 2 lenses either. Is it the camera or the lens? BTW, it happens every time I use the 17-40. I wouldn't even consider getting a 77mm polarizer for this lens - a waste of money.

Red filters - are these ever used with digital? I use my red for b&w with 35mm.

Softener - I assume this works the same depending on the lens.

I'm considering selling some of my filters, but don't want to be impulsive. I'm trying to simplify my life!

Thanks for input - or sharing your experience.

Liz

Actually, the only two filters I use with digital are the polarizer and UV. UV only for windy, rainy days when I think there's a good chance of getting something on the lens - maybe you remember my standard answer to UV filters...

The polarizer is the only filter you really can't duplicate with Photoshop. I have also gotten deep blue skies without, but not consistently. Polarizers have other applications too, and a friend just let me try out a Gold & Blue polarizer - interesting but maybe not real high on my list of stuff to get. Polarizers can also take reflections out of glass and cut glare from scenic shots - like waterfalls, etc. There's more glare there than you might think! This also helps because it acts as a neutral density filter. I guess an ND might be handy too in some cases if your camera has a slow flash sync and you want to use fill flash in bright sun (this is a function of the camera, nothing to do with digital or film).

Red filter: If you convert your images to B&W with the channel mixer, you have a "red filter" there - actually it's one of the three sliders, the other two being blue and green. You can adjust how much "red filter" you want at the time you convert it. I'd rather do this than use a real red filter when shooting. Plus, you still have the original as a color image if you want it.

Softener: There are many blur filters in Photoshop. I can't really recommend one to replace a camera filter - maybe someone else can. Same idea though - you can control how much blur you want after taking the shot, and unlike a filter, you can have some areas of the shot unaffected by the filter (soften one person's face more than another's, etc).

I used to use CC gel filters with slide film. Glad not to have to deal with those anymore outside on a windy day! Now I just do a custom white balance (or shoot in RAW) and I'm set.

Liz

Cool thanks.....

I appreciate all the information which for me is very useful. It's interesting, too, about what you can and can't do in PS. I still like doing as much as I can out of camera. I'm not a big fan of PS because I sit at the computer too much the way it is. And I love to play with the camera!

After reading your post, I will definitely keep the polarizers I have - 3 Hoyas and one B+W which cost plenty new.......but resale value is zilch. I think I'll hang onto the soft filter and the red too.

Thanks so much for helping me out here, for taking the time to list the specifics.

Liz

Thread Information