• 02-01-2006, 06:31 PM
    carney2
    Nikon Full Frame Sensor Question
    Elsewhere at this site folks have predicted that Nikon will introduce a full frame sensor in 2007. I assume that this will be for the big bucks pro models. Based on past trends or a look in the good old crystal ball, can anyone hazard a guess as to when Nikon will put full frame sensors in camera bodies that most of us can afford?
  • 02-01-2006, 06:45 PM
    Seb
    Re: Nikon Full Frame Sensor Question
    Quote:

Originally Posted by carney2
    Elsewhere at this site folks have predicted that Nikon will introduce a full frame sensor in 2007. I assume that this will be for the big bucks pro models. Based on past trends or a look in the good old crystal ball, can anyone hazard a guess as to when Nikon will put full frame sensors in camera bodies that most of us can afford?

Really? Where does that information comes from? I'd be glad if it turns out to be true but also surprised because it would render their DX lenses line useless while they have been primarily focusing on this line over the past few years.

The cost of production of full frames sensors still seems exagerately high considering how the Canon 5d and the 1Ds mkII are priced. Let's see what happens...

Seb
  • 02-01-2006, 07:19 PM
    Photo-John
    I haven't seen any suggestion that they're planning a full-frame sensor. It looks to me like they're fully committed to the APS-sized sensor. If you really want a Nikon digital SLR, there's no time like the present.
  • 02-01-2006, 07:38 PM
    carney2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Seb
    Really? Where does that information comes from? I'd be glad if it turns out to be true but also surprised because it would render their DX lenses line useless while they have been primarily focusing on this line over the past few years.

The cost of production of full frames sensors still seems exagerately high considering how the Canon 5d and the 1Ds mkII are priced. Let's see what happens...

Seb

Check the responses to the "Nikon to Canon dSLR - Time to Switch?" thread posted below in this dSLR section.
  • 02-01-2006, 07:39 PM
    carney2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I haven't seen any suggestion that they're planning a full-frame sensor. It looks to me like they're fully committed to the APS-sized sensor. If you really want a Nikon digital SLR, there's no time like the present.

I do and I will. All I needed was someone (like you) to give me some gumption as my old granddaddy used to say. Can I hit you up for a loan?
  • 02-01-2006, 08:23 PM
    deckcadet
    Nikon has on at least two occasions that I have seen official accounts of (actually now 3) said that they are developing a FF (approx.) sensor, but do not know if or when it will be used. Recently, there was an interview with a nikon official reported in a magazine, which some websites have taken as being 'nikon denies FF will ever be used.'
    that is simply not true.
    In fact, my interpretation is that the only CONCRETE part of this entire statement is that they have been working on seeing if they would be able to successfully commercialize a FF sensor- which means to me that they may have a working solution to some of FF's problems, but it may be a matter of cost effectiveness. All the rest is mostly conjecture and Personal Opinion on the part of the official, with a bit of Nikon's current policy mixed in.
    Quote:

"35mm is a film format, which I do not think is necessary in the digital era," says Makoto Kimura of Nikon. "We have been exploring the possibility of commercializing a 35mm full-size sensor, but it's not clear at this moment if we go for it. We feel that the 'DX' format or APS-C size will be the best for the DSLR and interchangeable lenses. Based on the assumption Nikon has been bringing up in number the lenses for the DX format, change in the size of the sensor would possibly puzzle some users in finding effective focal length related to angle of view," he says.
    Eventually unless some new advances see their way into the chips, we'll probably see a nikon FF (or larger than DX) sensor IMO. The pixel density will eventally be so great that the s/n ratio will no longer provide satisfactory image quality- Nikon's #1 concern as an engineering/imaging centric company.
    We may see a FF or larger than DX sensor from Fujifilm of course, in a new body (I doubt they'll have the N/F80 chassis anymore now that most film camera production is over, and I think they may have understood that some people just don't like it), possibly D200 or F6 base.
  • 02-01-2006, 09:06 PM
    Photo-John
    Good Stuff
    I didn't say it, but it's my opinion that there isn't really a problem with the current sensor size. Until the pixels get too small, that is. Since sensor technology keeps improving, and Nikon keeps packing more pixels onto the same size sensor with good image quality, it doesn't appear that a full frame sensor is really necessary. And being somewhat of a fan of the Olympus Four Thirds format, I agree that we don't necessarily need to copy (limit ourselves) the 35mm format. We could do something different. And it could be better.

I'm glad you're back, deckcadet. You're good for this site :)
  • 02-01-2006, 09:07 PM
    JSPhoto
    Considering Nikon doesn't even make their own sensors, one rep visiting major retailers in the US recently said they will not have anything full frame to compete with Canon on until very late 2007 or 2008. They are working with Sony but want to avoid some of the past problems in anything they do come up with. And he asid 2007/08 is really pushing it.

JS
  • 02-01-2006, 09:32 PM
    deckcadet
    Re: Good Stuff
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm glad you're back, deckcadet. You're good for this site :)

I try. Makes me sound intelligent every now and then.
    Now can I please stow away in your suitcase for PMA? :)
    I'm small I swear! a bit taller than I was when we met, but still thin :p
    I just hope fuji announces an S4 for you to be able to show us some new eye candy now that the D200 is in my hands.