Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Rebel XT with Sigma lens???

I just bought the Digital Rebel XT and know somebody giving away their 28-300mm F3.4-6.3 macro lens.
    Will this work on the Rebel XT?
    Thanks in advance

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Rebel XT with Sigma lens???

Welcome to the Forum HPISavage. As long as the Sigma lens you're talking about it designed for the EOS mount, it should work on you're XT.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Welcome to the Forum HPISavage. As long as the Sigma lens you're talking about it designed for the EOS mount, it should work on you're XT.
    It actually used to be on my Dad's Nikon, so i guess it will not work. I am a newb to the camera scene- it seems like the XT lens zooms out quite a bit, but will no zoom in on a subject.
    Is there some type of converter that would allow me to use a Sigma lens that was on a Nikon?
    Last edited by HPISavage; 02-02-2006 at 10:24 AM.

You can get an adapter to use a Nikon lens on a Canon EOS camera. Here is a link to one. I know nothing about Nikon gear so I don't know if this adapter will fit your lens or not. I'm just posting it to give you an idea of what you would need to use that lens.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Wow! If I am going to spend $200+ to make the Nikon lens fit, i might as well get a lens that was made to fit.
    The main purpose for the lens is taking pics of the kids playing sports. I want to be able to zoom into them on the court and field and get some decent shots.
    Any suggestions on a lens?

How much $$ you wanna spend? The Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS is a top choice for Canon sports shooters but it runs around $1700. Sigma also makes a 70-200mm f/2.8 that is cheaper but I'm not sure how much. The folks in the sports photography forum could give you more recomendations. I'm sure it's already been discussed in that forum so with a little searching, I bet you could find a lot of info.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

You can find the Sigma for around $650

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6