Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: New to Rebel XT

New to Rebel XT

Hi all

I have recently started using a Canon Rebel XT with the kit lens. I have been playing around mainly with just the auto settings, and also really interested in the Depth of field pictures. I have been doing this with the ADEP setting on the XT, sometimes I can get it great, sometimes not. It seems I have to focus all the points in the view find on the subject and everythng else will be blured/out of foucs. I want to know how i can just get say a person on the right side of the fram in focus then everything else in the background and the left ou of foucs.?

Also, I would like to know how you can do the opposite, forground in focus, but the backgroun in focus? Is thisusualy done after the fact on photoshop or someting?

Any tips on how to take great looking shot with the XT would be great.

Thanks

Re: New to Rebel XT

Well, if you want to blur the background in order to place emphasis on the subject (e.g. outdoor portrait), then you will most likely need to use a large lens aperture. f2.8 is ideal, but since the XT's kit lens isn't "fast", here are some tips for achieving selective focus:

• If you are using a zoom lens, zoom it as long a focal-length as possible. Note that you may have to walk backwards in order to include the entire subject.

• Experiment with the aperture settings in order to accomplish the amount of background blur you want. For example, it is quite possible to go overboard and make the background appear as a solid color. Feel free to vary the f-numbers – the smaller the number, the more blurring.

• The closer the taking lens is to the subject – the more blurred the background will be. Again, experiment until you find the suitable blurring effect.

If you want to get something on one side of the frame in-focus while something on the opposite side out-of-focus:

Make certain that both objects aren't exactly parallel to each other. For example, have the one on the right be farther from the camera while the one on the left be closer to the camera. Varying the lens aperture and the front/back separation between the subjects will alter the amount of blur. Remember to focus precisely.

Re: New to Rebel XT

Quote Originally Posted by bombstylz
    Hi all

I have recently started using a Canon Rebel XT with the kit lens. I have been playing around mainly with just the auto settings, and also really interested in the Depth of field pictures. I have been doing this with the ADEP setting on the XT, sometimes I can get it great, sometimes not. It seems I have to focus all the points in the view find on the subject and everythng else will be blured/out of foucs. I want to know how i can just get say a person on the right side of the fram in focus then everything else in the background and the left ou of foucs.?

Also, I would like to know how you can do the opposite, forground in focus, but the backgroun in focus? Is thisusualy done after the fact on photoshop or someting?

Any tips on how to take great looking shot with the XT would be great.

Thanks
    I have a question for you as I was thinking about getting this camera. Overall, are you satisfied? I saw that the price for this camera had dropped and wanted to be sure it wasnt because it was no good. Are you satisfied? Thanks

Thread Information