Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Need advice on a good photography vest...

I've been looking for something like this safari vest and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on them? Specifically, sizing for a woman (I am 5'3" tall and weigh about 130lbs), and if you feel that your SLR lenses fit safely in the front pockets. Also, I'm planning a trip to Africa and was wondering if they get too hot?

Thanks,
    Katrina

ps If this is the wrong forum area to post in, I apologize! I couldn't figure out which one was the best for this question, and I have DSLR.. thanks.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Need advice on a good photography vest...

Welcome to the site. I don't have any experience with photo vests, but I did recently go to Africa. (South Africa) What time of year are you going to be going? I was there at the end of May and the temps were perfect. I would have had no problem wearing a vest and staying cool. We had temps in the mis 70's all week and we spent most of our time on safari in the back of a truck. It's not like we were doing a lot of hiking to get warmed up.

That vest looks pretty decent to me and the price seams pretty good too. I have seen photo vests sell for 2 or 3 times that price.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Need advice on a good photography vest...

I have a similar vest that I bought at a sporting goods store a long time ago for a fishing vest.
    The one you show looks like a good one with a good price.
    You might see what they have at local sporting goods stores though most fishing vests are too short but the hunting ones are usually long enough. I do carry some lenses in the larger pockets and feel they are secure in mine.
    HEY! They have pith helmets too. Everyone needs one of those on safari.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information