• 12-05-2009, 10:23 AM
    sjbgarden
    Nikon D90 or Canon EOS, T1i, XSi
    I posted on the sports photography but thought I would try here as well- thank you so much for your time!

Please help me choosing a new SLR camera for Ski racing photos. I know this is a personal choice, but with all the brands out there, I would appreciate any help narrowing down the choice (from your experience taking photos). I personally favor Nikon, but understand Canons should be considered. I love to photograph the following:

Son ski racing, playing soccer, baseball
    nature- gardening and landscapes
    love the option of video as sometimes it is nice to mix into movies I make with photos

I have never had an SLR camera, been happy with Kodak Digital for years, but need the choices of zoom lenses and speed of the SLR. Body weight needs to be considered as I sometime hike up to take ski photos. Will be getting a monopod to help steady the camera (moms tend to shake when their son’s are skiing down a hill at rapid speeds)

have been looking at the Nikon D90 and Canon EOS, Rebel T1i

Thank you so much for your time- obviously I am a newbie!

SJB
  • 12-05-2009, 12:41 PM
    Franglais
    Re: Nikon D90 or Canon EOS, T1i, XSi
    The Nikon D90 has a much better viewfinder than the two Canon systems
    The Nikon D90 goes up to 4.5 frames/second whereas the Canon systems go to 3.5 frames per second
    The D90 goes up to 6400 ISO whereas the xsi only goes up to 1600 ISO
    The D90 does video which the xsi doesn't
    The D90 is more solidly built (heavier) than the Canons

I think that the D90 also has a better kit lens, focussing and flash system than the Canons but don't ask me to prove it.

I haven't looked at the prices recently but usually the D90 is priced above the two Canons you mention. Have you looked at the Canon 50D? This is usually only slightly more expensive than the D90 and is more suited for sports. (Correction - but it doesn't do video..)

I don't do much sports but I do have a monopod. Yes I would use it for sports if a was in a fixed place for a long time with a big lens, like for a ski competition. It helps to support the weight of camera + lens. However if you're moving around the monopod is a nuisance because you have to carry it and you don't have two hands free if a picture comes along.
  • 12-05-2009, 01:06 PM
    Frog
    Welcome to the forums!

Here is a side by side comparison ot the Nikon d90 and the Canon t1i http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...ikon-D90.shtml
    The Canon is lighter, takes longer movie clips, and is cheaper.
    The Nikon appears to beat it in all other categories.
  • 12-06-2009, 05:23 AM
    Franglais
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
    Welcome to the forums!

Here is a side by side comparison ot the Nikon d90 and the Canon t1i http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...ikon-D90.shtml
    The Canon is lighter, takes longer movie clips, and is cheaper.
    The Nikon appears to beat it in all other categories.

The review says the same thing as what I've read in the French press, with two exceptions:

1. Having more pixels (15Mpix instead of 12Mpix) means more noise but as there are more pixels this offsets the noise so the end result is pretty similar, except that with the Canon you have more pixels to start with. But see point 2

2. They recommend the ageing Canon 17-85 IS lens. The French press say this lens doesn't have the resolution necessary for a 15Mpix sensor - you see no difference in the amount of detail between a 40D (12Mpix) and a 50D (15Mpix). Canon have just released the 15-85 IS which is much better - at almost twice the price.