Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikon D70s vs Nikon D50

I am buying a new camera. I am upgrading from a canon G5. I am going to use this camera to learn and explore a hobby I love. Also am using it to take pictures of clothing to put on my clothing boutique website. I cannot decide between the D70s and the D50. The D50($650.00) comes with the 18-55 lens but I really want the 18-70 lens. So, I can purchase the D50 kit at $650 or the D70s kit with the 18-70 lens for $200 more. The 18-70 lens on it's own is $400. If there is anyone with pratical insight on this subject I would love to hear your opinion.

Re: Nikon D70s vs Nikon D50

i just brought a D50 and i was asking the same question, and alot of the answers i got where the D50 it seems to be great all around and the price seems to be amazing for the things you can do with it, apparently nikon is coming out with a new DSLR in september, its someehere on the boards, if you ahve time may want to wait maybe prices will come down? just a thought

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: Nikon D70s vs Nikon D50

The 18-70 lens should be cheaper than 400- I believe the price is between $289 and $319 depending if you buy USA version with full warranty or an import gray market (for the small difference, get USA). You could probably pick up one used in great condition for $250 or less. The D50 body only is also a good deal, and I would recommend it to someone learning about photography. It has better out of camera output requiring less post processing than the D70S, and simplifies some features, plus the meter is calibrated so that it won't work so much to preserve highlights so versus the D70S, your shots will be better exposed and need less processing.

I would suggest the D70S if you require either a wired remote, control panel backlight, or an on-camera commander flash for remote speedlights.

The new camera coming, which has been leaked as the D80 (pictures are now on the net and will be added to our sticky thread in the Nikon camera equipment forum) will probably slot in above the D70S pricewise.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Thread Information