Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Dust on CCD and how to clean?

Hi- I have a question regarding cleaning my D70's CCD. It appears that I have something floating around behind the shutter curtain. I have this 18% grey 50% opacity blob that has started appearing in the same general area of my frames. It looks like dust or some particle or something. What safe method do I use to clean this?

Thanks!
    Anthony

Ranter and raver.

Re: Dust on CCD and how to clean?

The safest way is with a simple bulb blower. They should be standard stock at any camera store now and may even be found at your local megastore of choice, though probably in electronics. Dust is something you will have to deal with frequently with a DSLR, but it an easy problem to solve. If you get dust that refuses to be blown off (you will), I would recommend something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=343088&is=REG

Cool thanks! I checked the faq on Nikon's site, and they recommend the same thing, although they strongly advise to no touching/using anything on the low pass filter. I was curious how those around here deal with it, and if bulb blower it is, then cool.

I had to do that myself recently. I went out and bought one in the baby section of walmart for .99.

Yeah I have an 8month old girl and several of those lying around! Better than my old bristle brush version!

I've always used the blower bulb and it works fine. I figure if you can clean the sensor without touching it, you're better off.

Make sure to follow the instructions for how to lock the mirror up though. I've seen people put the camera in manual mode with "B" shutter speed, which will expose the sensor - but the sensor will be charged at that point. Dust won't come off (most, anyway) because of this. With my Fuji, I have to use the AC adapter, then hit a couple of buttons while turning it on. That exposes the sensor but doesn't charge it.

Thread Information