Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Rebel vs D70

Smile Rebel vs D70

I am starting from scratch here. Is the considerable increase in cost ( about $350 at Abes of Maine) worth it for the D70? My main uses are indoor shots of my daughter and mountain scenery since I live in Colorado, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: Rebel vs D70

Quote Originally Posted by Joer189
    I am starting from scratch here. Is the considerable increase in cost ( about $350 at Abes of Maine) worth it for the D70? My main uses are indoor shots of my daughter and mountain scenery since I live in Colorado, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
    First of all, avoid Abe's of Maine as if it were smallpox. Stick with the reliable dealers even if it costs a bit more.

No one can tell you whether you need the extra cost features of the Nikon D70 as we don't know anything about the way you shoot or your level of experience. Quite frankly, the Rebel covers more than most photographers actually use. I'd go with the rebel and put the extra $350 into the lens where there is a real difference.

If you are interested in the D70, look at the similiarly-priced Canon 10D or 20D. The D70 doesn't really compete with the Rebel.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Re: Rebel vs D70

Thanks for the info regarding Abe's of Maine, I though since they are a Canon authorized dealer it would make no difference. Do you have any reccomendations regarding oline dealers since I really do not want to pay tax.

Thread Information