Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

How do I set the shutter speed on my D70?

I can't figure out how to get it beyond 1/500. I got it to 1/500 just by setting it to A and M modes. I need HELP!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: How do I set the shutter speed on my D70?

Quote Originally Posted by D70Owner
    I can't figure out how to get it beyond 1/500. I got it to 1/500 just by setting it to A and M modes. I need HELP!
    Read about Tv mode in your owners manual.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Turn off the flash

Quote Originally Posted by D70Owner
    Turn off the flash (built-in or external). The D70 flash syncs up to 1/500 and the camera won't go beyond that value if you've told it to use flash.

BTW I think that Michael is using Canon-talk when he mentions Tv mode. I can't give you the Nikon equivalent - my manual is in French.

Charles

Re: Turn off the flash

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    Turn off the flash (built-in or external). The D70 flash syncs up to 1/500 and the camera won't go beyond that value if you've told it to use flash.

BTW I think that Michael is using Canon-talk when he mentions Tv mode. I can't give you the Nikon equivalent - my manual is in French.

Charles
    Odd. The standard symbol for shutter priority is Tv, aperture priroity is Av. This has been true since at least the 1970s across all makes of cameras. Has Nikon changed this?
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Standard modes

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    Odd. The standard symbol for shutter priority is Tv, aperture priroity is Av. This has been true since at least the 1970s across all makes of cameras. Has Nikon changed this?
    Nikon uses A (Aperture priority) S (Shutter priority) P (Program) and M (Manual). The earliest implementation of this system (according to my Nikon History book) was the FA back in 1983.

BTW at the time I was using a Canon T70 and the users manual mentions Tv mode, along with Program mode, Manual, etc.

Charles

Re: Standard modes

Nikon uses A (Aperture priority) S (Shutter priority) P (Program) and M (Manual). The earliest implementation of this system (according to my Nikon History book) was the FA back in 1983.

BTW at the time I was using a Canon T70 and the users manual mentions Tv mode, along with Program mode, Manual, etc.

Charles
    Very interesting. Tv is "time value" and Av is "aperture value." I know that all my Pentax, my old Olympus stuff from way back when, and all my Canon equipment used (uses) these notations. Of course, Nikon substituting "micro" for "macro", their own notation for modes shouldn't have surprised me!

Re: How do I set the shutter speed on my D70?

Actually my FE had "A" for aperture priority automatic. It was introduced in '78 or '79...

Back to the question, I also think it just has to do with the flash being on. Since the sync speed with the D70 is 1/500, you don't ever want to use anything faster - you'll get a half-exposed frame if you could do it. Not bad that they lock you out of the higher speeds. Of course you can use slower speeds if you needed to, just not faster.

With the flash turned off, you should be able to get 1/4000 (or is it 1/8000?). In real life, I can probably count on one hand the times I've used 1/2000 and faster though...

Cracked the case

Very interesting. Tv is "time value" and Av is "aperture value." I know that all my Pentax, my old Olympus stuff from way back when, and all my Canon equipment used (uses) these notations. Of course, Nikon substituting "micro" for "macro", their own notation for modes shouldn't have surprised me!
    Went via my local camera store this evening and I checked out the systems on display:

"Tv Av style": Canon and Pentax
    "PSAM style": Nikon, Konica-Minolta, Sony, Casio, Olympus, Fuji

Charles

Re: Cracked the case

Went via my local camera store this evening and I checked out the systems on display:

"Tv Av style": Canon and Pentax
    "PSAM style": Nikon, Konica-Minolta, Sony, Casio, Olympus, Fuji

Charles
    I am talking about SLRs, not consumer cameras. Oh well, whatever works.

Re: Cracked the case

I am talking about SLRs, not consumer cameras. Oh well, whatever works.
    Canon, Pentax, Nikon, Konica-Minolta, Olympus, Fuji are PRO SLR brand names
    Sony and Casio made pro level EVFs too...

Thread Information