Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikon D60 vs D50

I currently have a D50 but there have been some problems lately with it and am able to get something else for the price I paid which in a couple days would be the same price as the new D60 coming out.

Would the D60 be better than the D50 and how much better?

Also, I know the D50 has 5 AF points and the D60 only has 3. Will that cause much of a problem for a casual photographer?

I know the D50 was entry level years ago and the D60 is the new entry level.

Re: Nikon D60 vs D50

I believe the D60 also has the same restriction with lenses as the D40 - can only use AF-S lenses .... I would of thought when nikon designed the D60 they would of based it much on the D50 standards ....
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

I remember reading that it isn't that they don't work with the new ones, it's just that you have to manually focus. In any case, I got a telephoto lens last year for the D50 which I'm pretty sure will work with the D60.

It's just whether or not I should go for the D60 or not.

that is correct - they will work - just won't AF

I too have the D50 and love it ... but after having a chance to play with the D300 ....... WOW

with the new bodies out you may be able to find a great deal on a D200 or a D80 - or maybe consider a D70 - if you don't mind used
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

The prices of the D80 is a few hundred more expensive and I don't want a used camera.

I know not many people have used a D60 yet because it's not available until later this week I believe but from what I've heard, it's close to the D40x which is basically a step up from the D50 right?

I mostly use the auto setting on my D50 so I'm not truly worried about all those extra settings. It's just that I like using a DSLR over a Point and Shoot because the picture come out much better in my opinion.

I did look for the D80 but the price is just too much at the moment.

Hi Pitbull, welcome to PR I used to own a D50 and it was a great little camera. The D40/D40x I believe was a step down from the D50. The D60 is the replacement for the D40x. Here's a review for the new D60 that might be worth checking out:

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

The question I will pose to you is, how serious do you plan to get with photography? If you want to really learn the ins and outs, I would look for a used D80 from a reputable dealer like Adorama or KEH where you can get a warranty for it. If you just want it because the pics are better than a P&S and you plan on sticking with auto mode, the D60 should be an excellent camera for you.

Either way, don't be a stranger. Make sure to share some pics when you get your new camera :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

I've read a few reviews/previews and that's the only one that badmouths the D60.

The Autofocus thing isn't a problem since my 55-200 is a AF-S lens.

Basically, I don't even capture in RAW format at the moment either.

His main point though is that it is not a significant improvement over the original D40 to be worth the extra price, not necessarily that the D60 is a bad camera. If you are looking for a basic, compact DSLR, you can't go wrong with a D40, D40x, or D60. For me, the decision comes down to the D40 vs the D60. Personally, I think I might opt for the D40 and use the extra money for accessories like a good tripod and flash. This is just my 2 cents though
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

But where I live, the D40/D40x are only 50 dollars cheaper than the D60. So to me it's worth the extra 60 bucks if it adds features and such.

I'm just trying to compare the D50 to the D60.

I have no care for lenses that don't have a built in motor, the third and last lens I want is one of those small macro lenses.

Really, only $50? I was going by B&H prices where the D40 with 18-55mm lens is $499.95 while the D60 with 18-55mm VR lens is $749.95.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I just checked and the D40 is a lot cheaper but I can't find a price on the 40x.

But, I'm still trying to compare the D50 and D60.

I'm not sure if you will find any prices now for the D40x as it is now replaced by the D60. The basics trade-off between the D50 and D60 seems to be a trade off of features like more AF points, better metering, and better lens compatibilty of the D50 for the D60's extra megapixels, RGB histogram, and better display.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

What is better metering?

Would the D50 take better pictures?

I don't think you would probably ever use the the advantage of the D50 which comes more if you use the centerweight metering functions. The matrix metering which you are using with auto modes is the sameacross all those models. Another advantage of the D50 metering, if you take advantage of it, is that it offers AE bracketing of up to 3 frames at +/-2 EV.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

What metering advantage are you referencing, Aaron? They both use the same metering sensor. Bracketing is okay, but I wonder how many users really use it. I don't, personally, though my style of shooting certainly doesn't lend itself to bracketing anyways.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

The advantage I think I was getting at was if you are a fan of center-weight metering...LOL The D50 has adjustable cw diameter. Personally, I only ever used spot or matrix metering when I had mine, except I think I tried the cw like one outting. I way over complicated this thread didn't I Harrison? Was mine and Carla's anniversary yesterday and we did some ahhh, celebrating. That's it, no more answering questions after a bottle of wine My apologies Pitbull for confusing you.

The D50, D40, D40x, and D60 will all take excellent images and I would bet money that 99.9% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them when comparing images. I still stick with my original recommendation of opting for a D40 and spending the extra $250 on accessories and/or software. B&H also offers a 2 lens D40 kit for $659.95 and with the extra money you could also pick up a copy of Photoshop Elements 6.0 for $99.95
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by PitbulI
    I've read a few reviews/previews and that's the only one that badmouths the D60.

The Autofocus thing isn't a problem since my 55-200 is a AF-S lens.

Basically, I don't even capture in RAW format at the moment either.
    I don't think Ken Rockwell really badmouths the D60. He just tells it like it is. It's not really a significant improvement over the D40x. I'm working on a (late) D40x review right now and so I took a close look at the differences between the D40x and the D60 and the only difference I see that's compelling is the VR kit lens. Other than that, there's nothing that makes me think the D60 is really much different from the D40x. There's a new processor. But I don't have any issues with the processing on the D40x. So, if you are going to buy a new camera, I'd say save a few bucks and get the D40x. Unless you want the VR kit lens. And in that case, I'd encourage you to buy the D40x body only and the 18-200 VR lens. That's what I've been shooting with and it's a sweet setup.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    I'm not sure if you will find any prices now for the D40x as it is now replaced by the D60.
    I'm not sure that's true. The D40x is still listed on the Nikon Web sites. And as I mentioned eariler, I think the main thing you're paying for with the D60 is the VR kit lens. The other changes are mainly little details that don't really add up to a better camera.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm not sure that's true. The D40x is still listed on the Nikon Web sites. And as I mentioned eariler, I think the main thing you're paying for with the D60 is the VR kit lens. The other changes are mainly little details that don't really add up to a better camera.
    I was going by B&H's website again for reference. They have pulled down all D40x kits now and sell the D40x as body only. I checked Adorama after your post and they still offer the kits so I guess not everyone is phasing them out yet.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    I was going by B&H's website again for reference. They have pulled down all D40x kits now and sell the D40x as body only. I checked Adorama after your post and they still offer the kits so I guess not everyone is phasing them out yet.
    Yeah - I think they're phasing out the D40x kit, but not the camera. If you want the kit, you have to step up to the D60 with the new VR kit lens now. So Nikon is making image stabilization mandatory for enntry-level digital SLRs. That's a good move on their part, I think. But like I said in an earlier post, I'd buy the D40x and the 18-200 VR lens, instead of the D60 kit.
    Photo-John

Thread Information