Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Grey Market Question

O.K., I probably should have done more research and spoke up right after I purchased the camera back in Aug 2006. I'm thinking of upgrading from my D50 to possibly a D80. I might sell it on Ebay with some accessories. My question is, how do I determine if I have a grey market or not. I purchased on Ebay from panwebi (Soho Electronics-NY). I thought that I paid a resonable price for all that was in the auction. I have researched and researched and cannot tell if I got grey market. I look at the D50 label on the side of the box and see lots of japanese and by the upc code it indicateds D50 (J) BK. The D50 manual itself is all in English. I think that when I originally turned the power on back in Aug 2006, it was set to Japanese and my first thought was that I purhased a grey model. I did purchase a 5 yr Mack Extended Warranty, but I only wanted to protect my investment. I just do not know what ot say or list if anyone asks if this is a grey model or will they even care if I add in the 5 yr Mack warranty, which I did check and can be moved over to the knew owner for $15.00. Please provide feedback, Thanks

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: Grey Market Question

If the box says D50 (J) it is probably Grey market.

All USA model Nikon DSLRs say [MODEL NO.] (U)

Another way to tell is to look at your serial number. Recent Nikon DSLRs made for the USA market (at least D2H/D70 onwards, probably earlier too) have 3 as the first digit in the serial no.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Re: Grey Market Question

Thank for your response. The serial nmber does start with a 2. So it probably is then. Thank You.

Thread Information