Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

New Nikon D5000 DSLR

Nikon has announced a new DSLR, the 12.3-megapixel D5000. The D5000 can capture 720p HD video and has a new vari-angle LCD display.

Nikon D5000 Announcement >>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Nikon D5000 DSLR-nikon-d5000-3q.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: New Nikon D5000 DSLR

Not a Nikon guy, but I really like the idea of having the tilt/swivel LCD screen on a DSLR.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Mmm if I wanted a HD video cam I would buy one. You can get a great HD cam for under $800 and I am sure this beast will sell for 4 to 5 times that.

I don't under stand why they want to mix the two together, I knida like the idea that a camera will be better if all it has to do is be a camera and not 2 or 3 other things on top of it.
    Nikon D7000
    Nikon D60
    Nikkor 18 - 200mm VR f 3.5 - 5.6G
    Nikkor 50mm f 1.4G
    Nikkor 18 - 120mm VR Kit Lens

Quote Originally Posted by SkipT
    ...I knida like the idea that a camera will be better if all it has to do is be a camera and not 2 or 3 other things on top of it.
    Ditto... It has to cost money and engineering resources to design and implement video on a dslr. I'd rather they take that money and dump it back into developing features that would help it take better stills.

BM
    Sony A700
    Sony CZ 16-80 F3.5-4.5
    Sony 50 F1.4
    Minolta 70-210 F4
    Sony F56-AM Flash

Looking at the specs closely

Is this a simplified D90 or a D60 with D90 parts? Answer:

- It's a D60 with D90 parts. No autofocus with non AF-S lenses, no front control dial. But it has the sensor from the D90 and the 11-point autofocus system
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Looking at the specs closely

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    Is this a simplified D90 or a D60 with D90 parts? Answer:

- It's a D60 with D90 parts. No autofocus with non AF-S lenses, no front control dial. But it has the sensor from the D90 and the 11-point autofocus system
    The sensor from the D90 is dreamy.

The D5000 also has the Vari-angle LCD. Since I regularly use Live View and have had the pleaure of using tilt/swivel LCDs on the Olympus DSLRs, I can tell you from experience, the new LCD is a bigger deal than you might think.

Thanks for pointing out that bit about having to use AF-S lenses. That's an important detail that I missed.
    Photo-John

Honestly, its about time. Don't know why none of the other live-views had this particular type of articulating LCD. Anyway, a bit surprised Nikon's the first one to jump on that ball, but its about time someone did.

It also seems to me like Nikon may just be flooding the market with too many consumer level options, how many 10-12 MPix DSLR's is Nikon manufacturing now anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Anyway, a bit surprised Nikon's the first one to jump on that ball, but its about time someone did.
    Nikon wasn't even close to the first one to do it. Olympus is on their third digital SLR with a full tilt / swivel LCD.

Photo-John

Wow, I need to keep up on the Olympus gear! Last time I was working in consumer electronics none of them had it.

As far as I know there are no other Canon, Nikon or Pentax models that do this too, right?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Not yet, but if Canon did it I'd be tempted.
    I'd be able to get some interesting viewpoints.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Wow, I need to keep up on the Olympus gear! Last time I was working in consumer electronics none of them had it.

As far as I know there are no other Canon, Nikon or Pentax models that do this too, right?
    The Sony Alpha A350 DSLR has an LCD that tilts. And that's pretty cool. But Olympus has been the only company with the full tilt / swivel action. I do like the position of the tilt/swivel hinge on the D5000, though. That's a new position and it will keep the LCD in line with the camera if you want to look down on it for groundglass-style street shooting. It's weird to handhold the Olympus and shoot while looking down, since the LCD is off to the side.
    Photo-John

Yeah, I was kind of wondering what benefit the tiltable LCD has over the tilt/swivel like this articulating one. I was puzzled when sony released that, sort of a tease, didn't understand why they didn't incorporate an articulating one instead. Perhaps they didn't purchase the license on the right patents? Hmm...

But Olympus has been the only company with the full tilt / swivel action.
    Only if you look at SLR alone, Minolta did it many many years ago on their A2, released in 04, and Canon has had it in many of their digicams ala A610/A620 and such for many years. I understand why they didn't have it on SLR's for a while, sort of a pointless technology without live-view.

It also seems to me like Nikon may just be flooding the market with too many consumer level options, how many 10-12 MPix DSLR's is Nikon manufacturing now anyway?
    Selling: D200, D40x, D300, D60, D90, D5000, D3, D700
    Manufacturing: D90, D5000 at least

D200 = replaced by D300
    D60 = replaced by D5000?
    D300 = what if the rumours about the D400 are true?
    D3, D700 = no idea
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

hi i just bought new Nikon D5000 and i am looking for some help and guidance in using it.
    i want to know how to use continuous shooting mode.....help is very much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by maalamaal
    hi i just bought new Nikon D5000 and i am looking for some help and guidance in using it.
    i want to know how to use continuous shooting mode.....help is very much appreciated
    It would probably be best if you started a new thread on the Nikon Cameras forum. And be a little more specific about what you want to do. Just using the continuous shooting mode is pretty straightforward. Telling us what subject you want to shoot will help us give you better advice
    Photo-John

hi Photo John
    i opened a new thread here
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...270#post390270
    please respond there

Thanks,

What would be the best flash to put on the Nikon D5000? I need one that can really perform well with this model. Please help with any advice. Thanks

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

You'll get more answers/advice if you post a separate question in the Nikon forum.
    Probably the sb800 or 900 though.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I have a new question.. it wont let me post a new thread since I am new to the site so hopefully someone will see this:
    I have a Nikon D5000 and I am looking into purchasing a circular polarizer lens filter. Anyone used any types of filters with their Nikon D5000? Which ones, and were you pleased with the results. I mostly use my Nikor 55-200mm lens. I am having alot of trouble finding any decent reviews for filters that are compatible with this camera and lens. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by kristamorris1 View Post
    I have a new question.. it wont let me post a new thread since I am new to the site so hopefully someone will see this:
    I have a Nikon D5000 and I am looking into purchasing a circular polarizer lens filter. Anyone used any types of filters with their Nikon D5000? Which ones, and were you pleased with the results. I mostly use my Nikor 55-200mm lens. I am having alot of trouble finding any decent reviews for filters that are compatible with this camera and lens. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Sorry you can't post a new thread, Krista. That's to help keep the spam down. But it is sort of a hassle if you're a new member. Luckily, I'm on the job, here to help

Filter compatibility is just a matter of the filter size. And filter with the right diameter will fit your lens. The filter size is usually on the end of the lens. My guess is your lens probably takes a 55mm filter. There are all kinds of filter brands and a circular polarizer can cost anywhere from $35 to hundreds. My favorites are the B+W. They use the best glass and excellent coatings. Unfortunately, those will cost you over $100. My recommendation would be to look at Tiffen and Hoya's mid-range filters. You should spend about $50 for a mid-range circular polarizer. Don't go for the no-name brands you see on Amazon and eBay, though. Stick with the established filter brands. You don't want to compromise the optics of your nice lens by putting junk glass in front of it.

Hope that answers your questions. So you can start your own threads, check out the forums and comment on some of the photos. There's also a "Welcome" thread on the ViewFinder forum where you can post an introduction
    Photo-John

Thanks Photo-John! Mine is actually a 52mm. I was looking at Best Buy and saw the Brands Tiffen and Rocketfish?! One review for a customer with a camera like mine on a rocketfish polarizer was that it got stuck on his camera!! Def dont want that to happen?!
    Is B&W a brand?
    Are there any certain filters that you suggest are must haves for a professional photographer or no?
    I am shooting a wedding in a few months and I just want to provide my client with the best possible pictures and one of the things iI feel I need to improve is being able to capture a great photo of the couple while also providing an amazing background and not just a blurred one colored sky. Thanks again!

Nikon D5000 is great.

Thread Information