Nikon D3100, any good?

Printable View

• 11-19-2011, 10:37 PM
    0ptics
    Nikon D3100, any good?
    Hello everyone,

I decided to choose the Nikon D3100 as the camera to purchase, but I would like your guys' input on this camera. Just some background information, I plan to use it for landscape, scenery/outdoors, and people. I'm also a complete noob to cameras/DSLR's/photography and just wanted this specific DSLR cause supposedly it's very good/well-rated, easy to use, and great for beginners since its a entry-level DSLR. So that I just had a few basic questions about camera...

1) Though DSLR's are interchangeable when it comes to lens, does the stock 18-55m lens allow "Macro mode"?

2) Does the Nikon D3100 use a electric viewfinder or a optical viewfinder? Also is the difference and which is better?

3) Does the D3100 have burst shot? If so, how many shoots can be shot per mode?

4) Does the camera have fast shutter speed? Does it shoot as fast as I can click the shutter button?

5) I plan to spend no MORE than $550, which other entry levels would you suggest? I was looking at the Canon T3, Canon XS, and other entry level DSLR, but still prefer the Nikon D3100, but any other DSLR would you guys suggest?

I know I'm a complete beginner and these question a very noobie, but the help would be much appreciated. But yes would you say this is a great camera for beginners and a good entry-level DSLR?

Thanks for the help!!
    -0ptics
  • 11-20-2011, 02:52 AM
    Franglais
    Re: Nikon D3100, any good?
    This question would be better in the Digital SLR forum. I don't have a D3100 but I had a D60 for a while which is the same thing two generations back:

1. Does the kit 18-55 do macro?

>> The 18-55 focusses close enough to do flowers but if you want to do really small objects (insects) the Nikon 40mm f2.8 DX macro lens is not very expensive and is excellent (I have one)

2) Does the Nikon D3100 use a electric viewfinder or a optical viewfinder? Also is the difference and which is better?

>> The D3100 has an optical viewfinder like all DSLR's except a couple of recently-introduced Sony models which are out of your price range. When using a DSLR you rarely use the LCD screen on the back. You hold the camera up to your face (more stable) and look through a rectangular hole (the viewfinder) at the image.

- With an optical viewfinder you're seeing the image coming through the lens reflected in a set of mirrors.
    - With an electronic viewfinder you're looking at an image on an LCD screen inside the camera

I prefer an optical viewfinder. Electronic viewfinders are new and the technology is still improving

>> I don't know what you mean by burst shot. The D3100 can do 3 frames per second but the number of shots you could do would depend on the speed of your SD card and what sort of image file you were shooting

4) Does the camera have fast shutter speed? Does it shoot as fast as I can click the shutter button?

>> The D3100 can go up to 1/4000s which is very fast
    >> The D3100 will shoot immediately as long as the subject is in focus. The focussing system is very quick (much faster than a bridge camera) but sometimes the camera will hunt for focus. You can improve the situation by choosing the right focussing mode and focussing zone

5) I plan to spend no MORE than $550, which other entry levels would you suggest? I was looking at the Canon T3, Canon XS, and other entry level DSLR, but still prefer the Nikon D3100, but any other DSLR would you guys suggest?

>> Nikon and Canon dominate the market. Sony fans will say check out Sony, Pentax fans will say check out Pentax, etc. The entry level cameras are all very similar. However you are making your first step into a long-term investment which may involve getting extra lenses, flash, bodies, etc. which are only compatible with that manufacturers system. Choose your first camera carefully.
  • 11-20-2011, 05:04 PM
    volks
    Since Charles has answered all your questions, the only thing I can add is that the D3100 is a great little camera for starting out with and soon enough you will be buying a few more extra lenses. Go for it.
  • 11-22-2011, 03:41 PM
    Photo-John
    I agree with volks - looks like Charles did a pretty complete job of answering all your specific questions. I just wanted to point out that I just recently did a review of the Nikon D3100 and really enjoyed it. We all want more expensive, glamorous cameras. But usually we don't need what we want. And in the case of the D3100 I was really impressed with the image quality and general performance. I think most photographers would do just fine with the D3100. Here's a link to my review:

Nikon D3100 Pro Review >>

I think you'll be very happy with it :)
  • 11-22-2011, 07:56 PM
    jenalee
    I prefer D5100
  • 11-22-2011, 08:35 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jenalee View Post
    I prefer D5100

Why? 0ptics said he (or she) only wanted to spend $550. The D5100 exceeds that budget from the get-go. And for most photographers the extra performance won't really make any difference. My argument in my D3100 review is that the D3100 has very nice image quality and saves you quite a bit of money. That's good for photographers on a tight budget, like 0ptics, or for photographers smart enough to know that buying a better lens is almost always better than investing more money in a more expensive camera body.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking the D5100. But you can't just drop in and say you like the D5100 better without telling us why. Or maybe you're just trying to get your post count up?
  • 11-22-2011, 09:50 PM
    lord_of_film
    I didnt really care for it to much, but that's just me.
  • 11-23-2011, 08:26 AM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lord_of_film View Post
    I didnt really care for it to much, but that's just me.

Fair enough. But why? Do you have an alternative to suggest to 0ptics?
  • 11-23-2011, 01:11 PM
    Anbesol
    1) Though DSLR's are interchangeable when it comes to lens, does the stock 18-55m lens allow "Macro mode"?

Macro is not a mode, it is the relative minimum focus distance, to which the standard 18-55mm kit can focus fairly closely for a zoom of its range, with a magnification of 1:3.2 at 55mm it will focus closer than most other alternatives. True macro lens, however, produce much greater magnification, of 1:1.

Optical, preference. The optical viewfinder shows an organic, true to life view straight through the lens. An EVF shows a digital reproduction of the scene. There are a numerous variety of benefits of EVF and only a small amount of drawbacks. Chief of which is the live exposure feedback, showing you what your picture looks like before you take it, i.e. color temperature and overall exposure bias. CSC (compact system cameras) and Sony SLT's use EVF's. Though I do think that the EVF has many more benefits than drawbacks, the optical viewfinder does still kick ass.

Yes, 3.

The shutter speed is dictated by the available light, ISO and the relative aperture of the lens. It has nothing to do with the camera. 1/250th of a second on the D3100 at f/5.6 is 1/250th of a second on any camera. A scene has an exposure value that is apart from the function of the camera. The fastest shutter speed the D3100 is capable of is 1/4000th of a second.

I think you would most likely find a much greater benefit in the CSC category of camera. To be honest, $550 gets you crap for DSLR gear, and unless you plan on spending thousands of dollars, the DSLR does virtually nothing for you that a CSC camera doesn't do with greater convenience. A CSC camera also has some performance improvements, including but not limited to A) Higher speed bursts, ranging from 5-10 frames per second instead of 3. B) No mirror slap, and C) the versatility of having a small flange design, affording it a compatibility, manual focus, to every film lens that has ever been made for any standard mount.

The Olympus E-PM1, the Panasonic GF-2, and the Sony NEX-C3 are available in the same price range as the D3100 and are likely going to be easier for you to use, less noisy and more discrete. The DSLR is not the only choice people have to produce good images.

And to Franglais -
    Quote:

The focussing system is very quick (much faster than a bridge camera)
    I assume you are talking about the point and shoots, and not the CSC category. Because as of now, single shot AF-S with kit lens, the CSC cameras have a faster autofocus than the D3100 does. Many times more so when compared to using the D3100's live view mode.
    Quote:

Nikon and Canon dominate the market
    The DSLR market. The DSLR market is also trended down, while CSC cameras have taken that chunk of the market. The trend is also growing and in more advanced markets we can see the overall photo-cultural move towards the rangefinder style design of a CSC camera. DSLR is great and its been good to us, but MOST of the people who end up getting it now would be better served with a CSC. Their is some clout around a DSLR that leads people to believe they are superior just because they are a DSLR, but the CSC's have every single feature the D3100 and T3 have, they're just not pointlessly large. Getting a DSLR now only to use it with a kit lens is a very poor decision now. If you want DSLR, make it because you want the premium, high end, expensive optics, because there really is no other reason to choose them over CSC>
  • 11-24-2011, 07:46 PM
    Franglais
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    The DSLR market. The DSLR market is also trended down, while CSC cameras have taken that chunk of the market. The trend is also growing and in more advanced markets we can see the overall photo-cultural move towards the rangefinder style design of a CSC camera. DSLR is great and its been good to us, but MOST of the people who end up getting it now would be better served with a CSC. Their is some clout around a DSLR that leads people to believe they are superior just because they are a DSLR, but the CSC's have every single feature the D3100 and T3 have, they're just not pointlessly large. Getting a DSLR now only to use it with a kit lens is a very poor decision now. If you want DSLR, make it because you want the premium, high end, expensive optics, because there really is no other reason to choose them over CSC>

You notice that when lord_of_film was talking in an earlier post about Bridge cameras I said he should look at a camera with a "larger sensor" meaning a DSLR or a CSC (ex EVIL).

Your analysis is very good. It helps me understand - why I'm not going to get into CSC. I need those premium high end expensive optics with a (low-end) pro DSLR body any time I know I'm going to do pictures. The rest of the time I need a really small camera that fits in a pouch on my day bag or on my belt or in my pocket.
  • 11-25-2011, 12:42 AM
    Anbesol
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    You notice that when lord_of_film was talking in an earlier post about Bridge cameras I said he should look at a camera with a "larger sensor" meaning a DSLR or a CSC (ex EVIL).

Your analysis is very good. It helps me understand - why I'm not going to get into CSC. I need those premium high end expensive optics with a (low-end) pro DSLR body any time I know I'm going to do pictures. The rest of the time I need a really small camera that fits in a pouch on my day bag or on my belt or in my pocket.

Yeah I wasn't sure exactly how you were defining "bridge" as it has changed its categorical meaning over time. Some people even call those silly superzoom's "bridges" (though there is virtually no bridge in performance whatsoever).

Understandably, you may want high performance optics. But the majority of consumers and likely the original poster if his intended budget has anything to say, are likely to end up with only consumer grade optics and zoom ranges. To which, an M43 with a 14-150 or variations in those range would be a much better solution. Basically identical in quality, although we can split hairs over ISO 3200+ and 12 vs 14/16 mpix.
  • 11-26-2011, 02:01 AM
    Franglais
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Yeah I wasn't sure exactly how you were defining "bridge" as it has changed its categorical meaning over time. Some people even call those silly superzoom's "bridges" (though there is virtually no bridge in performance whatsoever).

Wikipedia says that the term "Bridge" was originally used for film cameras that were a crossover between a compact and a reflex. Nowadays it just includes cameras that have:

- electronic viewfinder
    - fixed lens usually with a wide zoom range
    - small sensor

By a strange coincidence, last night at the hypermarket two women asked me what I thought about a bridge camera on display (Panasonic LUMIX with 24x Leica lens - respectable). I asked what they wanted to use it for. Two blonde heads looking wide-eyed at me, silly question.. So I told them that I thought it would be fine for their needs, Panasonic is a major player in this segment. Checked the price afterwards - wow, the same as what I paid for my 40mm f2.8 Macro last month, and I thought that was cheap..
  • 11-26-2011, 09:19 AM
    Franglais
    Inspired by Anbesol's detailed post I went down to my local FNAC (technico-cultural superstore chain dominant in France) and picked up their latest test report.

What Anbesol calls CSC's are also known as MILC (mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera) or in France "Hybrids".

The report is all in French so I won't try to reproduce it. The D3100 comes out fine. Most of the hybrids are also good except at keeping focus on a moving subject.
  • 11-28-2011, 07:50 AM
    jcomiot
    I also have a question. I curently have an N-80 with an AF lens. I am considering a Nikon digital and was wondering if the lens would work and if so would I lose any capability?
    Jim
  • 11-28-2011, 09:03 AM
    Anbesol
    Yes you do lose AF, unless you get a Nikon body with an internal AF motor, the D5/3100 does not. The D90 does, and the D7000 does. In order to keep AF on the lower end nikon bodies requires AF-S lens.

You could also interface it onto the Micro four thirds mount, or the NEX mount, though again you lose AF.
  • 11-28-2011, 02:37 PM
    jcomiot
    Thanks Charlie. Very helpful.
    Jim
  • 11-30-2011, 09:09 PM
    none133
    i hope you find what you need!
  • 12-09-2011, 12:28 AM
    Davekyn
    I really wish I could hep you. I have been researching myself for the Best Consumer DSLR.
    The one you mention is on the list. One thing I remember being said about it, was the automatic focus mode in Video, being slow to react and also audible doing capture as it Zooms in and out.

Personally I am not the worried about Video and am trying to decide on best picture quality.
    Seems some are better in low light conditions and other variables ... I am just like you learning myself.

I like the idea of Macro and have enjoyed dong that with any old compact over the years ... I opted to go DSLR now over a premium compact because I wont to play with Depth of Field and read in the posts about the place that the Size of the sensor was an important factor ...

I plan to take it Hiking a lot and would like to catch some low light photos around camp and so on.

At this point I am going with the Canon EOS 550D/Rebel TI2 with a Kit lens 18-55 for just under $650.00 from the US.
  • 12-13-2011, 09:43 PM
    SERFDG
    good
    good post.............