Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Smile Newby and need DSLR advice....

Hello everyone,

I've been reading several of the threads on this site and it looks like there are some pretty knowledgable photographers here! I bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-F828 a couple of years ago and really like the pictures that I've taken outdoors of my kid's baseball games, etc. The problem I have is with indoor sports pictures. From everything I've been reading, I really don't think this camera is capable of taking good quality pictures of wrestling, indoor volleyball, etc. I'm really considering purchasing a new camera before the wrestling season starts so I'll have a little time to learn how to use the features, practice some indoor sports shots, etc. My youngest son is a Junior in high school and I really want to have some good pictures of his wrestling matches before he graduates and goes off to college.

From reading the threads, it seems like I have many choices but I would really appreciate some advice from you guys before I run out and buy anything. I am willing to spend around $2000 for a camera/lens that is capable of taking clean, quality indoor sports pictures. I'm very involved in the athletic program at the high school so I'm sure I'll be taking other sports pictures for other parents as well. My husband's lifelong passion has been hunting and anything to do with rifles/scopes/stocks, etc. so he uses my camera quite a bit to post pictures of rifles, stocks, scopes, etc on the 24hr Campfire site.

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Newby and need DSLR advice....

Any of the current crop of DSLR's will do a fine job. If you already own lenses, it makes sense to get a body that will take those lenses. Other than that, you'll have to see how each camera feels to your hand.

Pentax and Sony have bodies with shake reduction built in. The Sony takes recent Monolta lenses, and the Pentax will mount and meter through anything with a K mount (although a couple of old Ricoh lenses have to have a pin cut off).

Nikon and Canon are the "prestiege" brands right now, but that could change. Just find something that you like and feel comfortable with.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Since your budget is $2K, I would get any entry level DSLR of your choice and invest the rest into a good lens (or two). Good glass is MUCH more important than the body. You'll get better pictures with a cheap camera and a good lens than with a top of the line camera and cheap lens.

nikon and canon are "prestige names " now and have been for many years for good reason.

i like canon but have no qualms about recommending nikon either.

since i know canon i will tell you about those.

for the 2k you speak of you can get a very good quailty (entry level) digital slr "rebel" for about $850 through walmart. don't worry about the walmart label as canon is canon. this will come with a kit 18-55 mm lens which is fine for shooting up close and around the house.

for sportevents, especially those inside, you need a faster lens of say F2.8. the lens of this caliber will cost in the neighborhood of $600-1200 depending on the range and the brand.

you will need memory cards, a tri-or monopod, cases, perhaps a flash but not needed right away and other incedentals.

as was stated there are some good point and shoot cameras out there but they have their limits and you may have to buy a whole new rig later. they are pretty good for their purpose.

the canons and nikons can always be upgraded.

i am on several " 24 hour campfires" as a hunter myself. i may know your husband . what is his hanndle and where does he post.

you should both be aware that this stuff is more addicting than hunting

good for hunting

or for sports

Thanks for all of the posts! I really appreciate the insight. I love the pictures! I showed them to my husband and, of course, he loved them too. I'll probably be going out this weekend browsing to see what kind of deals are out there, hold the cameras, try out lenses, etc. I'll let you know if I come back with anything. I'm hopefully going to be able to take pictures at some of the volleyball games in the next couple of weeks so I can practice before wrestling gets in full swing.

My husband's handle on the 24 Hour Campfire site is Karnis. He posts in many of the forums. He said whichever one strikes his interest that day is where he posts. I know that once the youngest is graduated and off to college, I'll be going to the deer lease with him taking a ton of pictures. That's when I think he will really get into the photography area too. Around here, wrestling starts right as deer season starts and goes all the way through February so our weekends are pretty much full with wrestling. He still goes to he deer lease quite a bit but I always go to the wrestling matches.

I have the tripod, monopod, memory cards, etc but I don't have the lenses yet. I'll probably go ahead and get the F2.8 for wrestling but I can guarantee my Christmas wishes this year will be more lenses.

Thanks again for all of the information! Sorry the reply took so long but I had some long hours at work this week.

Well.....went out and tested some of the cameras. I really, really like the Nikon D80 which is of course more money than I planned on spending (given I'll probably be buying the f2.8 lense to go with it). If I go that route, I will have to get new memory cards, etc. Oh well....it'll be worth it for sure. The memories pictures provide are priceless!

I liked how the D80 felt holding it. It was the most comfortable camera for me. I really liked the large viewfinder as well. Since it's raining today, I'll probably go shop around prices to see who has the best deals out there.

then i think you have found what you were looking for and you certainly used good criteria for your choice.

i don't think you will regret it. i look at my stuff as an investment.

looking forward to seeing some of your shots!

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoMom
    Well.....went out and tested some of the cameras. I really, really like the Nikon D80 which is of course more money than I planned on spending (given I'll probably be buying the f2.8 lense to go with it). If I go that route, I will have to get new memory cards, etc. Oh well....it'll be worth it for sure. The memories pictures provide are priceless!

I liked how the D80 felt holding it. It was the most comfortable camera for me. I really liked the large viewfinder as well. Since it's raining today, I'll probably go shop around prices to see who has the best deals out there.

Thread Information