Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Any intel on Canon 5DM2 for sports?

I apologize up front if this issue has been discussed previously, but I have been away from this site for a long time. My primary interest is action sports, but I like to take the camera along for landscape and street images. I know it would be great for the latter, but I'm wondering if any of you good folks have used it for sports, particularly indoor (without strobes).
    Any responses would be appreciated
    gusper

Canon 40D
    Canon 20D
    Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L IS

Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS
    Canon EF 85 f1.8
    Canon EF 1.4x II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX
    Manfrotto 679B

Re: Any intel on Canon 5DM2 for sports?

Wouldn't be my choice. The 1D MIII is geared toward sports and fast action shooting, street/photojournalism and is suitable for all around use. It's not just the difference in FPS but focus speed as well as other custom functions on the ID MIII.

The 5D was geared toward studio, portrait, landscape etc. It can be used for sports as long as you understand the limitations it will impose on you and can live with them. Just as the 1D MIII can be used for landscape, studio, portrait.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphonslair99
    Wouldn't be my choice. The 1D MIII is geared toward sports and fast action shooting, street/photojournalism and is suitable for all around use. It's not just the difference in FPS but focus speed as well as other custom functions on the ID MIII.

The 5D was geared toward studio, portrait, landscape etc. It can be used for sports as long as you understand the limitations it will impose on you and can live with them. Just as the 1D MIII can be used for landscape, studio, portrait.
    Or if cost were an issue, the 50D is a faster shooting camera, with a better crop factor for long lenses used in sports. As stated above, the 5D Mk2 is a camera for applications where resolution is more important than speed. The opposite is needed for shooting sports.

I've been using the 5D Mk II for a few weeks, including some snow sports photography. Of course, the image quality is wonderful. But I found the speed to be a real limitation when shooting ski sequences. The frame rate is ok, although I'd like it to be a little faster. The real problem is that the large files fill the buffer too quickly and that made me miss shots. I don't know if that's as a big a deal shooting indoor sports. But for skiing, snowboarding and mountain biking I set up a shot and pan with my subject while I hold down the shutter release for 6 shots or so.

On the other hand, the high ISO image quality is a huge benefit. I took the 5D Mk II for a mountain bike ride in the redwoods yesterday evening and shot some photos in very low light at ISO 3200. I haven't really looked at them yet so I can't say how good they are yet. But I haven't had a camera yet that I would have been willing to try that with. I've shot enough good stuff with the 5D Mk II at ISO 800 and 1600 that 3200 seemed reasonable. And for indoor sports, that will be a big benefit.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougjgreen
    Or if cost were an issue, the 50D is a faster shooting camera, with a better crop factor for long lenses used in sports. As stated above, the 5D Mk2 is a camera for applications where resolution is more important than speed. The opposite is needed for shooting sports.
    :thumbsup:

Thread Information