Newbie- Blurry Images

Printable View

• 04-18-2004, 04:04 AM
    ginman522
    Newbie- Blurry Images
    Hello All!

I'm totally new to Digital SLR photography, and recently bought a Sigma SD10. My question.

Is it normal for me to be getting blurry images when not using a tripod? I have 2 lenses a 55-200 and an 18- 50, and obviously the more telephoto I use the more you need a tripod. I have been playing around with the metering(3 options- 8way, Average, and center), ISO settings( 100-800), and Aperature/shutter(30sec-1/8000) priority modes. I just discovered that center metering is helping a bit. I generally use it full auto mode, but trying to get manual down.

I love this camera, when they aren't blurry the photos are absolutely amazing so it's beginning to frusterate me. My tripod is a peice of crap and I get shake when using the telephoto...so I'm going to buy a remote and a new tripod.

Is it normal for me to be getting slightly blurry photos, freehand in slight telephoto shooting people?
  • 04-18-2004, 04:49 AM
    SmartWombat
    Is it normal? It depends :)
    If you're using the 55-200 zoom at the long end, then shake without a tripod could be a problem.
    Unless you use a short shutter speed so that you minimise the effect of shake.
    But that means wider aperture and that can show shortcomings in the lens.
    Does the image quality improve if you stop down by 1 or two stops?
    How critical are you being of "blurry" images?
    A sample might be helpful, we don't bite !
  • 04-19-2004, 07:53 AM
    ginman522
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thanks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Is it normal? It depends :)
    If you're using the 55-200 zoom at the long end, then shake without a tripod could be a problem.
    Unless you use a short shutter speed so that you minimise the effect of shake.
    But that means wider aperture and that can show shortcomings in the lens.
    Does the image quality improve if you stop down by 1 or two stops?
    How critical are you being of "blurry" images?
    A sample might be helpful, we don't bite !

I figured it out. I had the wrong metering setting..was set to landscape(average), changed it to Center. The pics are fantastic now! here are some samples.
  • 04-19-2004, 09:26 AM
    Seb
    Exactly
    Hi

I have been experiencing the very same problem with my new Nikon D70 right this week end and I solved it with center metering as well. It truly appears to be the best way to get optimals results when you want to put emphasis on a specific object/part of the picture.

Beside, congrat for the picture, it is truly well done.

Seb