Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Best Entry-Level Digital SLRs Guide

I know there are a lot of people here looking for guidance on cameras for the Holidays. I've got your back! I just finished a Top 5 guide for entry-level digital SLRs. I chose what I think are the five best digital SLRs for beginners or photographers looking to upgrade from a compact camera. They're all reasonably-priced - for DSLRs, anyway - and there's a good range of options. I also included an alternative camera for each pick so you have even more choices and some less expensive, older DSLR cameras to pick from.

Top Five Beginner Digital SLRs >>

If you've got your own ideas about good entry-level DSLRs or questions, please post them in the comments section at the bottom of each page of the guide. Or, if you post them here I'll answer them, too. But comments on the actual guide makes it a better resource so I'd prefer you post them there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Entry-Level Digital SLRs Guide-top5-entry-dslr_550.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Best Entry-Level Digital SLRs Guide

Not to be a nitpicking silly-butt here, but the list is uncannily sorted in the order of system popularity. If innovation and new technologies that make photography more accessible to the laymen were the true benchmark of this chart - I don't see how anything could outdo the Panasonic or Sony, or even the Sony NEX which didn't make the list. The Nikon, Canon, and Pentax haven't really brought much new in with their design, just updating the same ol' same ol'. I guess its a pointless to say, but I get flustered when there isn't a solid standard or benchmark upheld in these scoreboards. Seems to me that they only reaffirm the paradigm that brand popularity trumps the actual technology, which is a growing concern of mine in photography culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Not to be a nitpicking silly-butt here, but the list is uncannily sorted in the order of system popularity. If innovation and new technologies that make photography more accessible to the laymen were the true benchmark of this chart - I don't see how anything could outdo the Panasonic or Sony, or even the Sony NEX which didn't make the list. The Nikon, Canon, and Pentax haven't really brought much new in with their design, just updating the same ol' same ol'. I guess its a pointless to say, but I get flustered when there isn't a solid standard or benchmark upheld in these scoreboards. Seems to me that they only reaffirm the paradigm that brand popularity trumps the actual technology, which is a growing concern of mine in photography culture.
    I understand where you're coming from. This list isn't entirely scientific. It's intended to provide a range of options for different types of photographers and budgets and, yes, popularity is part of it. If you're shopping for a gift, you don't really want to buy someone something they won't like and popularity - a reasonable measure of success - should be part of that equation. I could do another list based on innovation and pure performance. I think I might still end up with very similar results, though.

So what would your list be? Share it with us. Better yet - post it in the comments section of the Top Five article to provide the readers with your own picks. That article isn't a closed system and your comments will make it better
    Photo-John

What about the canon rebel XS? Someone who doesnt need HD video may want this camera and for $479 its cheaper then all 5 of those. My 1st SLR and I love it for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltfisher
    What about the canon rebel XS? Someone who doesnt need HD video may want this camera and for $479 its cheaper then all 5 of those. My 1st SLR and I love it for the price.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Canon Rebel XS. I looked hard at it while I made the guide, mostly because it is such a great value. I had to make tough choices to narrow it down to five cameras, though. You should post a comment at the end of the article and mention it, though. It's definitely the perfect camera for some people
    Photo-John

Thread Information