Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Angry Canon Digital Rebel Troubble :: Urgent help needed

I leave tomorrow for a trip to Europe so i really do need help as fast as you guys can.

I have noticed that when i shoot in the dark, or low light settings, on the sports settings and a number of other settings, the shutter speed is really slow, and i cant seem to make it faster. Therefore in low light, even with external flash, my images come out blurry.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Any help is a step in the right direction.

Thanks in advance-

Mike

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Iso???

Mike,

It's tough to diagnose your problem from the little bit of info you give...

Maybe you could be more specific about the camera settings you're using. What ISO? What file type capture? What auto mode? What flash mode?

Just off the bat, it sounds like you have the camera set to maybe its lowest ISO setting, which would be the digital equivalent of using a very SLOW speed film.

So, if you have the exposure mode on auto or aperture priority, the only way your camera can try to get the proper exposure in a low light scene would be by using a very slow shutter speed. This would be especially true if your lens is not that fast...

I'll be around tonight, so if you can give me feedback to my questions, maybe we can troubleshoot the thing BEFORE you need to leave tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by mdipi
    I leave tomorrow for a trip to Europe so i really do need help as fast as you guys can.

I have noticed that when i shoot in the dark, or low light settings, on the sports settings and a number of other settings, the shutter speed is really slow, and i cant seem to make it faster. Therefore in low light, even with external flash, my images come out blurry.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Any help is a step in the right direction.

Thanks in advance-

Mike
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

hmm, i tried the ISO and it has sped it up a lot more.

It was really slow when i was using the one where it looks like hte little guy running, and even the one with the person was slow. but hte iso does seem to have sped it up a whole lot more.

I looked in my manual and have found that i can turn up the shutter speed using the Tv setting, and that helped as well.

Thanks for the fast reply, and sorry about not being able to give oyu more info.

Helped a whole lot

-Mike

mdipi,

What lens are you using as well, would be great to know. More Specifications on the ISO you were using, was it originally ISO 100, the faster the ISO the faster the reaction of the camera will be, but that being said as well, the grain of the image will go up as well. You need to take the same picture and adjust your setting to see what the image looks like with the different settings. That way you will learn what is best for the situation you are shooting and make a note of this in a small note pad to carry with you. As you become more familiar with the camera and len/s you will start to see your images becomming better and your instincts will start to be intuative (you won't need the notebook as much). I know you said you are leaving soon, but you really do need to digest the user manual that came with the camera more and more. Reading it once completely is great, but you also need to use the camera as you read it and then you will get better images as well.

Hope that helps too.

Thread Information