Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Canon T4i vs. Sony A77

Hello,

I am planning to invest in a dSLR. I'm a beginner to these cameras. I was wondering which one should I get? Just more information: I'm probably going to use it more for filming videos and taking a couple shots upon my parents requests... (Vacations and stuff like that).

I was wondering which would be better?:

Canon EOS Digital Rebel T4i with 18-135mm STM Lens or Sony SLTA77VQ - a77 with 18-135mm Zoom Lens?

I chose these two because I found some recent deals on them lately and was planning to invest in one of these. Also money is no problem for me.

I heard the 18-135mm STM lens is great for shooting video because it can auto refocus real quick but the a77 was claim to be the fastest (claim was somewhere I forgot; I think it's the camera's main page?)

Thank you for reading!

Re: Canon T4i vs. Sony A77

Technically, both cameras are excellent, so it really comes down to how these bodies handle and feel for you.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

If video AF is your priority, you need a Sony. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    If video AF is your priority, you need a Sony. - Terry
    Why Sony, Terry? Can you give us some detail about what Sony is better? I think the general impression is that Canon is the video leader. What does Sony have that Canon doesn't?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

There are not to many bad DSLRs on the market it comes down to what features you think are important. The a77 which I own has an electronic view finder which I have grown to love. Also in body stabilization which makes shooting low speeds easier. I can't say anything bad about the a77 it's a great camera. You will need to learn to clean a sensor which is very easy and only takes a minute or two. I don't know much about the Canon. But I am almost sure you have to buy stabilized lenses if you want that feature. So your lens cost might be higher.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Why Sony, Terry? Can you give us some detail about what Sony is better? I think the general impression is that Canon is the video leader. What does Sony have that Canon doesn't?
    Phase Detect Auto Focus in video in the Sonys (i.e. Fast Focus) vs. Contrast Detect Auto Focus in the Canons (i.e Hunt Focus). I don't often recommend a brand (even my brand), but as I said, if video AF is your priority, you need a Sony. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    Phase Detect Auto Focus in video in the Sonys (i.e. Fast Focus) vs. Contrast Detect Auto Focus in the Canons (i.e Hunt Focus). I don't often recommend a brand (even my brand), but as I said, if video AF is your priority, you need a Sony. - Terry
    Thanks for humoring me, Terry

Now I'll throw my two cents in...

First of all, I'm a Canon system owner - have been for about 15 years now. And I would definitely choose the A77 over the T4i. The T4i would be a good choice if you already own Canon gear. But if you aren't already invested, then I would give you a solid push towards Sony. I think Sony is the future. Canon is making great cameras but Sony is pushing the design and performance envelope. I also think you get a lot more for your money with Sony. If you compare the features of the T4i and the A77 you'll find the Sony matches up against the Canon EOS 7D, not the T4i. It's a real prosumer camera and the T4i is more of an entry-level camera.

As for video - the Sony is going to walk all over the T4i. Like Terry said, the Sony has the same phase detect AF for video as well as stills. Phase detect auto focus is what DSLRs use for perfect continuous auto focus, something that mirrorless and DSLR cameras are terrible at - except for the Sony SLT cameras. Canon has made a step forward by embedding phase detect AF Pixels on the sensor with the T4i, but the continuous auto focus in video mode is very, very slow. The Sony A77 video AF should be totally sports worthy.

The Sony cameras also have an electronic viewfinder and that means you can use the eye-level viewfinder when your're recording video. With any other brand of DSLR you'll only be able to use the LCD unless you buy an expensive accessory viewfinder. Why does that matter? Being able to hold the camera up to your eye while you're recording video adds a third point-of-contact, helping to minimize shake in your video. That's huge.

Here's this Canon owner's last Sony pitch - I've been thinking of buying an A77 myself and I own a Canon EOS 7D and thousands of dollars of Canon lenses
    Photo-John

Oh yeah - if you want more details on what makes the Sony SLT cameras special, as well as more specific info on the A77, you can read my Sony A77 intro article here:

Sony Alpha SLT-A77 – Prosumer DSLR Crusher | Camera News & Reviews

Let us know if you have more questions about either camera and please let us know what you decide on and why
    Photo-John

Thread Information