Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

New to DSLR's-- would like advice on which to purchase first.

I've been looking to get into DSLRs for a while, as I've been using point-and-shoot's for about 4 years now... I've so far only been using Canon PowerShot's, and while I have been getting some excellent photos with these, I'm looking to upgrade into the DSLR level. My dilemma comes with this, as I cannot come to a decision between the Canon Digital Rebel XTI and possibly a Nikon... of some sort.

Could someone give me some insight on which would be better for me to start out with? My budget is not really in question here... I have no experience with Nikons, but my boyfriend swore by his D70, and is about to get a new D80 here in a few days. What I'm hearing is that Canon lenses aren't as good as the Nikkor lenses... but I'm not sure if I should really be worrying about that right away since this would be my first time with a DSLR anyway...

Any ideas on whether I should stick with Canon, or should I venture into the land of Nikon and then of course, which Nikon would be the best route to go, to start out with...

Thanks! (:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: New to DSLR's-- would like advice on which to purchase first.

Of course the canon users will say Canon and the Nikon users will say Nikon.
    I went with a Nikon D80 with an 18-135 lens and have no complaints as I had researched it enough to know what I would get and what it would and wouldn't do.
    Canon xti users are equally happy with their purchase.
    You also should not eliminate Pentax or Olympus. Their users are happy too from most of what I read.
    From a practical standpoint, get a Nikon and borrow your boyfriends lenses if he's willing.
    Depending on how much you want to get into it and how much effort your willing to put into it..The d40x is ok, the D80 has a lot more, the d200 is raved over by its users, and of course there is the new d300 coming out. Or the D3 if you want to go big time and aren't afraid of spending money.
    Look in the review sections here and other places that DON'T sell cameras, compare features and prices, decide what you want to do with the camera, look at the Camera Dealer feedback thread to avoid getting scammed. Oh and go to some place that actually sells cameras and pick the ones up you are interested in and see how they feel in your hand.
    Others will have more advice for you and please give us any further questions and let us know what you decide.
    Good luck!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Divorced Nikon user speaking

Go into a camera store and see which out of Canon and Nikon feel better to you. Then say to yourself that your boyfriend has Nikon - boyfriends don't last forever, but just the same... Then say to yourself that Nikon have the best:

- Autofocus
    - Flash
    - Exposure system
    - Kit lenses
    - Lens range for amateurs/low-end pros
    - Low-end DSLR (D40)
    - High-ISO performance probably if the D3 and D300 live up to the initial reports
    - Product strategy

I certainly can't make a case for buying Canon. First the Nikon D40 and D40x take the low-end market, then the flagship Canon 1DMk3 has autofocus problems that Canon still haven't managed to resolve, then the Nikon D300 and D3 take the lead in high ISO results (according to the rumours).
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I don't think you're going to be able to tell the difference between Nikon and Canon lenses. It's very easy to get caught up in this kind of hair splitting and hype. But I think it's more important to buy a camera you're comfortable with. Plus, Pentax, Olympus, and Sony are making very good cameras now. To be honest, I think any current digital SLR will surprise you and be great.

I don't agree with Franglais's list of Nikon bests. And just to play devil's advocate, Canon sells more cameras in every category than any other camera company. They've also been the most popular camera maker on this site for years. That can't be an accident.

I think buying Nikon so you can share lenses and accessories with your boyfriend is a reasonable strategy. Plus, if he already knows the Nikon system, he can help you learn your camera more quickly than if you got something completely different.

Ask yourself if you really need a Canon or Nikon or if people have just convinced you those are the only serious cameras. If you aren't sure, take a look at Sony, Olympus, and Pentax. For about a year I've been encouraging first-time DSLR buyers to look at Sony, Pentax, and Olympus DSLRs because they have built-in image stabilization. With Canon and Nikon you have to buy lenses with image stabilization systems. Pentax, Olympus, and Sony all have digital SLRs with image stabilized sensors - so no matter what lens you're using you should have sharper pictures. This is a very real and invaluable feature that will deliver more usable photos. So unless you have your heart set on Canon or Nikon, I would encourage you to check out the other camera makers. If you have small hands, you'll also find the Olympus E-510 is a very nice, very compact, and very comfortable camera.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I'm a Canon user but I am with Photo-John. If your boyfriend already has several good lens, go with Nikon and save for awhile. All the major brands are good. Each may have a few points today over the other, If I started over, it would be a hard choice to decide which system to go with.

I have researched cameras and my pick to purchase shortly will be the Nikon D80. What I would highly recommend is when he gets the D80 to see if you can try the 70 and see what you like and dislike about it before making a decision. Determining what you plan on taking pictures of and being able to use a DSLR to me to find out your likes and dislikes would be wise things to do before making any purchases, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Information