Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: new digital slr

new digital slr

hi
    new to your site,im looking to get more involved and maybe a little more tecnical than my usual point and shoot snaps. it would be most helpfull if you guys with the knowhow could point me in the right direction and advise me on a mid range slr .i only want to do this once as im getting a new camera and the wife wants a new kitchen so as future proof as possible please thanks for taking the time.. regrards merchman

Re: new digital slr

Welcome to the site, merchman. I'm going to move your post to our digital SLRs forum, where I'm sure you'll get more response. And here's a link to the digital SLR review section here:

Read and write digital SLR camera reviews >>

And here's a link to our digital SLR buyers guide >>

The current mid-range models are the Canon EOS D30, the Nikon D80, the Olympus E-500, the Pentax K100D. And the current entry-level digital SLRs are actually very good now, too. I have been using one for a few months and haven't regretted it a bit. I think you should also consider the Canon EOS 400D, the Nikon D50, and the Sony A100. If you only plan to make the purchase once and don't need a whole bunch of high-end equipment, I would encourage you to look at the Sony and the Pentax because they both have built-in image stabilization which absolutely helps get sharper photos.

I hope that helps give you some direction. Let us know if you have more questions.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

thanks for taking the time , ill have a look at the forums you suggest ,but being from the uk ive found the prices are a bit steeper over here.also being a newbee i want to buy from a shop mainly for the easeyer after sales,ive brought stuff online and its a bugger sending stuff back anyway i appreciate your help merchman

The links are for reviews and about what to look for in a camera. There are shopping links on those pages, too. But that's not why I gave you the links. The review pages and buyer's guide have details about the cameras, the differences between the manufacturers, and how to choose the digital SLR that's best for you. Buying at a local shop is great. They'll usually give you much better, hands-on service, and it's good to support the local guys.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Go for the kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by merchman
    hi
    new to your site,im looking to get more involved and maybe a little more tecnical than my usual point and shoot snaps. it would be most helpfull if you guys with the knowhow could point me in the right direction and advise me on a mid range slr .i only want to do this once as im getting a new camera and the wife wants a new kitchen so as future proof as possible please thanks for taking the time.. regrards merchman
    Your wife is right. Go for the kitchen. It will give you years of service, won't be replaced 12 months after by something better, won't require endless extra investments in lenses, computer software, printers, portable hard drives, etc. You probably already know the frustration of not having a shot come out the way you wanted, but at least now you can blame it on the point and shoot rather than on your own incompetence.

If you choose to ignore the above advice and buy a camera - none of today's cameras are "future proof". They are all replaced regularly (Canon has probably the shortest product life cycle at 18 months). None of the top 5 seems to be about to go out of business (Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Nikon, Canon). Leave all that aside. A camera is a tool which you must learn to use and be creative. Go into a few camera shops and try out the cameras you are interested in. Look for one that you understand and that feels good in your hands.

Charles

Thread Information