New Canon T2i v/s 50D

Printable View

• 02-10-2010, 02:32 PM
    clk550lover
    New Canon T2i v/s 50D
    Hello,

Just curious ...............

What are the TOP 10 (if NOT 5) reasons (besides price difference, 50D is slightly more expensing than 550D) you will choose one over the other? ...........NOT that it will make me change my mind at this stage BUT just wondering.

Thanks a LOT.
  • 02-10-2010, 04:23 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: New Canon T2i v/s 50D
    Speed
    Better auto focus system
    Better controls - thumb wheel and index finger wheel
    Build quality
    Smaller file size
    Not paying for video

That's all I can think of at the moment. I think those are all very good reasons to buy a 50D over the 550D. However, the 550D is definitely a really impressive camera - especially if you're really interested in video.
  • 02-10-2010, 09:34 PM
    Anbesol
    The 50D uses a pentaprism as opposed to pentamirror, which is brighter and sharper. You could consider that difference part of 'build quality' but I think it stands out on its own too.

Personally, I'd go for the 50D, once you get accustomed to the camera the better controls on the 50D will be a major blessing, especially the more fully manual you use the camera. Even if the T2i has better image quality (which I'm not sure yet, 18 MPix on an APS seems excessive).

It won't change your mind? So what do you have your mind set on anyway?
  • 02-11-2010, 12:13 AM
    clk550lover
    You wrote "It won't change your mind? So what do you have your mind set on anyway?" - I placed the order with newegg.com with 50D and the lens you HIGHLY recommended. I will buy the other lens (wide angle) after a few months.

I checked Best Buy's reviews on the site given by GrandPaw and decided to go with newegg. They, too have good financing - 12 months instead of 18 months.

THANKS A LOT for all your help.

Hats of to you .........Sir :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  • 02-11-2010, 12:27 PM
    Franglais
    So far you've asked some basic but sensible questions. This one is just silly.

Take the specification sheet of the 50D and the 550D and compare them. The 50D is a low-end pro model which does everything better than the 550D.

The only thing where the 550D beats the 50D is the number of pixels. Tests I've seen between the 12Mpix Nikon D300s and the 18Mpix Canon 7D say that you have to make a very very big enlargement to see any difference between the two and that you need to have a very good lens (example 60mm Macro) and perfect technique (heavy tripod) to actually get full definition on the 18Mpix sensor. The difference between 15Mpix and 18Mpix is going to be even more difficult to see.

People who buy the 550D - consumers not experts - are going to be wowed by the 18Mpix but it's overkill for them (unless they crop a lot).
  • 02-11-2010, 12:36 PM
    poker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clk550lover
    Hello,

Just curious ...............

What are the TOP 10 (if NOT 5) reasons (besides price difference, 50D is slightly more expensing than 550D) you will choose one over the other? ...........NOT that it will make me change my mind at this stage BUT just wondering.

Thanks a LOT.

Do you have good lenses? If not, then you should get the 550D and use the savings to buy good lenses in the future.
  • 02-11-2010, 12:48 PM
    clk550lover
    Hello,

I have ALREADY placed the order @ newegg.com for Canon 50D + 1 of 2 lenses HIGHLY recommended by AnbeSol on a different thread started by me.

Any way ........

Thanks a LOT for asking. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hope, everybody who is NEW to this hobby will eventually ( I DID eventually - did't I? I hope so) will understand why the investment in GOOD lenses is more important than in a camera body.
  • 03-21-2010, 02:05 PM
    kateross
    Canon T2i is very hot.
    Better auto focus
    Speed fine
    Video Quality
    2 wheels - thumb wheel and index finger wheel
    Build quality
    Compact file size