• 10-26-2006, 05:49 PM
    Saul
    New Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM
    Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I need help deciding on camera lens.

I am a casual photographer. I shoot a lots of live concert pictures. I own Canon 30D camera and looking for new lens. I've heard so many good things about Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens and my mind was set on this lens. Now that the new Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM is out. I'm torn on which to get.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • 10-26-2006, 06:35 PM
    Liz
    Re: New Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM
    Saul,

Welcome to the forum! You have two great lenses that you're deciding between.

I would suggest the f2.8 since you do live concerts. I think you need the faster lens. Both are awesome lenses.

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul
    Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I need help deciding on camera lens.

I am a casual photographer. I shoot a lots of live concert pictures. I own Canon 30D camera and looking for new lens. I've heard so many good things about Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens and my mind was set on this lens. Now that the new Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM is out. I'm torn on which to get.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• 10-27-2006, 09:15 AM
    Photo-John
    Liz's answer makes sense. For live music photography, one more stop can make the difference. The f/f lens will save you some money and some weight. The f/2.8L weighs a ton. I have the non-IS version. Working with that sucker all day does a number on my shoulder and arm. But I do like it. I've thought about getting the f/4 lens myself, just to have a lighter option. In the end, you have to decide if that extra stop is worth the weight and cash. Think about this - how will you feel when you're trying to shoot at f/4 and you need one more stop and your lens doesn't have it. Is that going to happen a lot? If so, the f/2.8 lens is probably the right way to go. If not, buy the f/4 version and save a little money and protect your arm.
  • 10-27-2006, 11:08 AM
    Saul
    I know that the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM weight a ton, I wish is as light as the
    f/4. Also this len is good in low light situations which is a plus.

Thanks for all your help guys.
  • 10-27-2006, 02:30 PM
    Liz
    Saul,

Let us know what your final decision is.....and post some of those photos!

If you have any questions, we're still here.

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul
    I know that the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM weight a ton, I wish is as light as the
    f/4. Also this len is good in low light situations which is a plus.

Thanks for all your help guys.