Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

New 30D kit a better value?

Greetings all,

I've been in my OCD research mode for some time now, looking for a dSLR. My P&S takes awesome pics, but just not cutting it for distant, indoor, sports shots... familiar story?? I thought I had made my decision to buy a Nikon D80 with the 18 - 135 lens ($1225). Or maybe just buy the body and pick up the 18 - 200 VR (approx. $1820). And to complete my kit, I was going for the 70 - 200 mm f/2.8, for the more difficult indoor shots. My thinking was these two lens should cover everything I need (for now anyway)

So I head into the local camera shop (a well regarded "mom & pop" shop in my area) to discuss these buying options. After I tell the owner what I want to do with the camera, he mentions that Canon now has a new kit, that is only a couple hundred dollars more than the Nikon 18-135 kit.... and a couple hundred dollars less than buying the Nikon body and the 18-200 VR.

The Canon kit he is referring to is:

Canon EOS-30D Digital SLR Camera Body Kit with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Image Stabilized Zoom Lens - USA Warranty for $1500.

He said that it's faster shutter speeds and faster fps would make it a better choice of indoor sports shooting. Especially, if my shooting range was 50 feet to 150 feet... maybe even further. The kit comes with a $400 IS lens.... and, of course, I'd have to buy the equivilant 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens.

I'm pretty sure he was just being helpful and not trying to bait-n-switch me to a higher priced camera, because the D80 / 18-200VR combo was more expensive, and he did have everything in stock, except the 18 - 200 VR lens.

So now I am completely perplexed!! Were we really comparing apples to apples with these kit combos. Do you think this Canon package is a better value? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Re: New 30D kit a better value?

It's a tough call. And really, I think it's more important to consider the camera and system you're buying into. With this kind of purchase, shopping by price can be a big mistake. Different people have very definite preferences about which SLR they like better. And it's as much a question of how the camera fits as anything else. Both cameras will be perfectly adequate as far as specs go, although a faster frame rate might help. On the other hand, the 18-135mm lens that comes with the Nikon has a lot mroe to offer as an all-purpose lens. The 28mm wide end of the Canon 28-135mm IS lens isn't really a wide angle lens with the 30D's 1.6x crop.

Personally, I would recommend looking at the Canon Digital Rebel XTi and the Nikon D40x to see if they'll do the job. I don't think you really need more than they have to offer. And with the money you save on the "entry-level" body, you can buy better lenses and a real flash. If you're shooting indoor sports, a good flash is invaluable. Lot's of people disagree with me about the Digital Rebel XTi. But I've shot with the best equipment available and my main camera right now is the XTi, and most of what I shoot is sports. Hardly anyone needs to shoot 5 frames-per-second. A better lens will deliver more, for most people.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks Photo-John!

I checked out the XTi, only real problem I had was the way it fit in my hand... the shutter button was in an awkward postion for my hand. The 30D, D80 and D40 all fit my hand more comfortably. So you think the 18-135 is a good all-purpose lens? I do think the range is just about perfect, but the lens felt very "plastic", and the zoom ring wasn't very smooth... especially compared to the 70-200 f/2.8. That zoom ring was smooth as silk (and so was the Canon equivilant!) The thing that caught my eye on the Canon was the IS lens they were packing with it. Granted it's not a very wide angled lens. Perhaps I'm getting too caught up in the IS / VR hype. I think I'll circle back around and check out the 40x... but is the extra megapixels worth another $200? printing 8x10 pic max... would the extra megapixels come in handy for croping pics? As you can tell, just starting up. And truly appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks!

Shooting Canon and loving it!

PixelPusher,

I was in the same boat you are in now, and finally decided on the Canon 30D, until I talked to my local camera store owner who has quite a background in shooting Sports. He told me, very matter-of-factly the camera I wanted was the Canon 20D, which he says is the same as the 30D minus the bigger screen and spot metering. He said I wouldn't much use the spot metering and if the bigger on camera screen wasn't a big deal to me, then to go with the 20D for less cash, and put that extra money into good glass.

Needless to say, I took his advice and love the 20D. I recently (2 hours ago) borrowed my friends 30D and shot with it. I had to know if I made the right choice. Well, the 30D, as he said, is basically the same camera. I noticed no difference in how it operated, or the pictures in Post Processing (PS CS2) To me, the screen size wasn't important enough to pay out the extra 600 bucks for. I was able to put that money into a 70-200 - 2.8f lS lense, and have been VERY pleased with the results. I also have a 50mm 1.8f lense for point and shoot purposes, and love that as well.

Just thought I would throw it out their, maybe it will help, maybe not. I primarly shoot family fun, and football during mostly daylight hours. And from what I know, shooting indoor basketball has more to do with the Lense then a the camera. (to an extent) At any rate, I'm not professional, just a newbie trying to help out. I am sure others more informed then me will have their thoughts.

Beamer

Usel

keep in mind that the Nikon 40/40x only use AFS lenses. The bodies don't include the focusing pin like the D50 and up, so your lense picks become smaller.

Otherwise, I was at a wedding with a guy who used a 20D. he loved it. Been using it for years. I have another friend who uses a Nikon D50, she loves it. I was at a sports area and I saw a guy using a D50 on the floor.

For the money your willing to dish out, you could also look at the Pentax K10, but like someone said, you're buying into a system, not just buying a camera. I'm just getting started and I went with an Olympus. I've been very happy with it. I've shot everything from macro to wide angle with it.

Most of all, take your time before you choose. if the shop is letting you get a handle on the cameras, used every minute possible.

It can get really confusing. 10 megapixels is the standard now, but my 8 meg looks great. I know people still shooting with 6 that looks good. the D50 is a 6 meg camera by the way. The D40X is 10mp, D40 is 6mp

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate your thought very much. Hadn't really thought about the 20D. Now I have something else to go research... thanks!!

Thread Information