Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

A newbee with aRebel XT

Ive recently acquired this camera , takes great shots.
    But what Im having a hard time with is ,And Im reading the manual.
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a simple ,quick n easy way of setting the exposure time to say 2:30 minutes or 3 minutes or 5 minutes, if you can.
    Im really new at this, and have got the adaptor ring to attach the camera to my telescope .
    I need the longer exposures for the nebula and galaxies and star clusters.
    Any info would be great .
    I must be missin somethin here really basic , can get into and do other features no problem
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: A newbee with aRebel XT

Welcome to the Forum. To get shutter speeds that long, you will have to use the bulb setting on your camera. This will keep the shutter open for as long as you hold down the shutter button. For the kind of shots you're talking about, you will want to use a cable release to do this. If you try holding the shutter button down, on the camera for this long, you will cause camera shake, and end up with blurry images. With a shutter release, you can do this without touching the camera.

Another thing to consider is noise. Long exposures with digital, are going to increase the level of noise in your image.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Yep, shutter release cable in bulb setting. Also make sure you have the noise reduction feature turned on for the long exposures as it will take a black frame exposure to find any hot pixels and remove them from the image.

Holding the shutter open for that long will be a big drain on the battery. See if you can get an AC adapter to plug the camera into the wall, so you don't use up the batteries. Most cameras have such an accessory.

Thanks for the input, Ive got to get this device so I do not have my hands on the camera while the telescope tracks.
    I thought that the camera would sit on its own for say 3 minutes than snap closed , instead of holding it down in bulb mode .
    Im game for anything . and will try anything once .

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

The shutter release cable will allow you to lock it in the open position so you don't have to hold it open for the entire duration of the exposure.

Thread Information