Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Junior Member capturedexpressions's Avatar

Question Need to Upgrade and Need Wise Words!!!!

Here's how it started. A Canon Rebel XT film SLR about 10 years ago with a regular 55mm lens. Then about 7 years ago I upgraded to the Canon Rebel XT DSLR. My hubby only purchased the body to this one and got me a Quantary 70-220MM telephoto lens that has made it's permenant home on the front of the DSLR. I recently purchased a Canon shoemount flash, the 220 speedlite I believe, due to the fact I had some indoor shooting to do and needed more flash than what the popup allowed.

Here's where I am. Over the past 2 years my photography business has picked up. I have weddings lined up along with a dancers convention shoot among other things. I had considered getting a Nikon (I really like the D90) just to try out the other side. But I started thinking... my main purpose is to have 2 cameras to shoot with at any event (back up is a MUST at this point after what I have been through!!). I have a Canon flash, Canon battery equipment, and a lens made to fit Canon DSLRs. Maybe having a Nikon just to have one is not really an intelligent decision for me right now as my funds are limited.

Here is what I want: Faster fps, better detail, a new lens, higher pixel rate (my current is 8 mega I believe), I want face finder, live view on the LCD, at least a 3 inch LCD (my current is 2.5), I would like a higher point focus as my current is only a 4 pnt, I am only 5'0 tall and petite so nothing heavy and huge (like the Mark series) and lastly I do NOT want video capability ~ I have a camcorder for that. Oh, and my budget is $2K.

So.... any ideas?
    Last edited by capturedexpressions; 01-19-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Re: Need to Upgrade and Need Wise Words!!!!

I can understand you liking Nikon but it makes no sense whatsoever to run two incompatible systems. As you have a certain investment in Canon and a limited budget then I would stick with Canon if I were you.

Camera body technology continues to improve fast. I would get a more high-end but not too expensive body like the 50D as your main body and keep the Rebel XT as back-up.

If you're still shooting with a plastic kit 18-55 lens then you could certainly upgrade to something more noble like the 18-200 IS (very versatile, handy for weddings) or the 15-85 IS (better image quality). The 17-85 IS is end-of-life but cheap.

A powerful flash is also very handy for weddings in dark interiors and filling in shadows outside. I don't know the Canon flashes but I have always gone for the top-of-the-range Nikon ones.

There. I've already blown your budget.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Charles,

Thanks for the input, and yea.. you are killing my budget here!!! Although, Bestbuy does have the 50D with a 28-135mm lens for about $1299. I shoot weddings now with my Quantary 70-220mm lens and love it. However, I do need a more powerful flash for weddings... I am looking into that.

I get what you are saying about running to seperate systems, which is why I decided not to go with Nikon, at least not right now.

I have been doing some research today and I am down to these:

Canon 50D
    Canon 7D

Any thoughts on this? And if I do go with the 50D, would you suggest a 18-200mm lens or a 28-135mm lens? Also what type of lens would be best for when I do decide to upgrade to a full frame body?

Thanks!

Lenses!

Like Charles, I think a better lens would be the best place to put your money. Regardless of how you feel about your Quantaray lens, a better lens will make a noticeable difference in your image quality. You'll notice it and so will your clients. You might also take a look at the Quantaray lens reviews in our lens review section. They don't get very high marks. They're very affordable. But no one buys them for the image quality. If you're really serious about stepping up your business, the best place to put your money would be a pro lens. I have the Canon EF-S 18-200 IS lens. It's a great all purpose zoom lens but the slow, variable aperture isn't ideal for weddings and portraits. I'd rather have a faster lens. To that end, I also own the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. I think that would be a great way for you to spend your money. Check the reviews on the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and you'll find photographers comparing it positively to the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L pro lens, which costs about 3x as much.

If you must get a new camera, I would recommend either the Canon XSi or a used EOS 40D. I've owned both of those as well as a 50D and now the 7D. The 7D is all about speed and the video. It's really designed to be a 1D Mark III lite - it's a sports and action camera. The 50D is good, but I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't better than the 40D. I didn't feel like I really gained anything in the upgrade. And I think a used 40D would serve you jjust fine. The speed, battery life and low light image quality will be a revelatio to you compared to your Rebel XT. And if you really want a 50D - mine is for sale. I just need to list it in our classifieds

I hope that helps. I can sense from your reply to Charles that you don't really want to hear that lenses are where you should spend your money. We all get dazzled by new cameras. They are much more glamorous than lenses. However, lenses really are more important. They're also long term invesments. I've owned 8 SLRs in the past 12 or so years. And for that whole time I've been using the same Canon 70-200 f/2.8L lens. Unlike cameras - especially digital SLRs - good lenses last forever.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

John ~ Thanks for the words of wisdom. And it's not that I don't want to invest in a new lens, I actually just want both. I have had the same DSLR for 8 years now and my 2.3 inch LCD screen on the back is way too difficult to see on and I do feel the camera has low light issues even with the 220 Speedlite flash attached. Not to mention that the FPS on mine does not perform well especially when you are trying to shoot 'in the moment wedding shots' and children. What my plan was is to get another camera so I can use my Rebel as a back up camera (which is why I wanted a body that requires CF cards so I can interchange if needed). I have been in two wedding situaitons where I needed a back up camera and ended up using my film SLR.

Can you send me a private message on the pricing of your 50D? What I also did yesterday was take a look at local classifieds in my area and was actually looking at used 40Ds for around $800-900 bucks. Do you think that pricing is about right? I am assuming that the Tamron lens is interchangeable with with both the 40D and 50D correct?

I'll also vouch for the 28-75 f/2.8, I really think that is the best pro lens you can get for the price. I even saw it compared to the twice priced Sigma, and though sigma's build quality is better, the Tamron's optical quality outperformed the Sigma by quite a noticeable amount. For wanting a top quality pro lens on a budget, I don't think you can do any better than that. I didn't mind the 4mm wide angle loss compared to comparable lens, considering price I could hardly complain.

I looked on KEH.com, if you are not familiar its an online photo gear store that specializes in used gear. Its an authority on used gear pricing, some of the local shops I've run into even use it as a basis for their own pricing. Of course, there is slight variation of price for included contents and condition, but they have some 40D's going for ~$600, and some 50D's going for ~$800. So, I'd say that those local ad's are probably not the best (unless they're including a lot more then just camera body).

John has a good point in comparing the two Canon's. The most noticeable difference I saw in the two camera bodies was actually the 50D's brighter, higher res LCD, which made playback more usable.

For what its worth, I personally don't like or recommend interchanging CF cards, the most common problem DSLR's have is CF pin malfunction, where some of the internal pins bend from inserting CF cards. I don't even move my CF cards at all, they stay in the body and I upload through the camera body as opposed to memory reader. Besides, flash cards are dirt cheap disposable now.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 01-20-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Anbesol ~ I am definitely going to invest in a new lens, and it will be the Tamron after the reviews I have read here.

I am familiar with KEH as I have bought things from there numerous times. I guess in reality it would be close to the same price with shipping ect. And the one's on the local classifieds was just the original box, manual, strap, battery pack, battery charger.

So as far as the body, you also suggest a used 40D?

I'm certainly no expert, but isn't it going to be difficult to go from doing weddings exclusively with a 70-220mm to using something in the 28-75mm range? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by capturedexpressions
    Anbesol ~ I am definitely going to invest in a new lens, and it will be the Tamron after the reviews I have read here.

I am familiar with KEH as I have bought things from there numerous times. I guess in reality it would be close to the same price with shipping ect. And the one's on the local classifieds was just the original box, manual, strap, battery pack, battery charger.

So as far as the body, you also suggest a used 40D?
    As far as the 40D to 50D comparison, I think they are both excellent models. The biggest difference to me was the LCD, though I haven't used either extensively. I'd try and get your hands on them and look at the difference in LCD your self. If you have no use or no desire for the 50D's LCD, then theres little else to make up the ~$200 gap between the two bodies.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Canon released the 50D was to have the edge on Sony/Nikon, there is otherwise very little difference, and the extra 5 MPix makes less difference then you would think. (It all gets pretty negligible after 10MPix on an APS crop sensor).

I would offer the guy selling it about $150-$200 less, and point him to KEH, its nice to be able to hold it and see it before you buy it, but KEH is a very good source and that luxury is certainly not worth $200.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    I'm certainly no expert, but isn't it going to be difficult to go from doing weddings exclusively with a 70-220mm to using something in the 28-75mm range? - TF
    I actually do alot of portraiture too. So if I can get a good deal on a used body then I should be able to get both lenses. I really think my Quantary has seen it's last days and the only other lens I have is the usual 55mm. What I would like to do is get the 75 for portraiture and then get a 200 or even 300mm for the weddings. Do you have any lens suggestions for the 200 or 300mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    I would offer the guy selling it about $150-$200 less, and point him to KEH, its nice to be able to hold it and see it before you buy it, but KEH is a very good source and that luxury is certainly not worth $200.
    Thanks Anbesol, I really appreciate your feedback. Also, I asked a question above to another user that I would like your input on as well, if you have a moment.

What 200 or 300mm lens would you recommend on a budget (the best quality for the best price)?

THANKS!!!!

Depends on how tight the budget. A Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, or Canons 70-200 f/4 L would probably be ideal on a budget. Both are excellent quality and relatively inexpnsive. How well has your quantarray treated you in your work? Is that an f/4-5.6?

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Depends on how tight the budget. A Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, or Canons 70-200 f/4 L would probably be ideal on a budget. Both are excellent quality and relatively inexpnsive. How well has your quantarray treated you in your work? Is that an f/4-5.6?
    The Quantary is an f1:3.5-5.6 and it has been great to me over the past 6 years. It has been through ALOT!!!

Thread Information