• 07-10-2005, 08:50 PM
    StraussHouse
    Need some MAJOR guidance...
    I'm new here. Im only 14 but take some really good shots. Well, I did some research and decided that the Nikon D70 is the best camera that i could get with my budget. I was currently shooting with my parents Sony Cyber-Shotm DSC-W1. I am very aware that that camera doesnt fit my needs. I am primarily shooting baseball, basketball, and football images. What I need help with is what type of accessories I should purchase with my camera. Obviously a lens since I wont be too close to most of the action (aside from basebal). Anything else?? High-speed memory card(s). If so what kind? Any help would be fantastic. Thanks.
  • 07-10-2005, 09:06 PM
    Photo-John
    70-200 f/2.8 Lens
    Welcome to the site! We - can - help :)

For the type of sports your shooting, your first investment should be a telephoto zoom. If you can afford it, your best investment would be the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 AF-S VR lens. You will never regret that purchase, if you can come up with the $1500 it will cost you. If that's out of your price range, take a look at the [usm=http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/35mm-zoom/Sigma/PRD_83598_3128crx.aspx]Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM lens[/url]. It costs a lot less and will still perform well. The keys for what you want to shoot is light and autofocus. You will really benefit from a 2.8 aperture and really good autofocus. The Nikkor lens will be the best for the D70, plus it's got Nikon's VR (Vibration Reduction) to help you shoot at slower shutter speeds. The Sigma will also be very good, but probably not as good as the Nikon equivalent.

The lens will be your most important purchase. High speed memory is also a good idea, as is a good flash. If you're shooting night games and indoor basketball, you're going to need all the help you can get. That means a fast lens and a flash. And I think the lens is the most important thing. A 70-200 f/2.8 lens is the most basic and first lens for most serious sports photographers.
  • 07-11-2005, 12:18 PM
    SmartWombat
    Re: 70-200 f/2.8 Lens
    Even though I have a Canon - I agree !!

My first sports lens was the Canon EF L IS USM 70-200 f2.8
    Same length, same features (IS = VR)

My next lens was the 24-70 for close ups, and the 100-400 for when I can't get close to the action.